The Eddy Wrap, from Julia Farwell-Clay

Thank you! I’ll be fine until I get to the shells although once I get going on those I’m sure I’ll be fine there too. It’s always the first time doing something that takes a moment for me…interpreting instructions. I have done short rows three times, all different versions from one another but I was successful at them, and even intarsia although that was a lifetime ago. I love the sweater and hat that you made using your scalloped shells so I hope that those will become patterns down the line. And I’m only one sleeve short now of being able to cast on. Sleeves are supposed to go fast but gee whiz, it seems like it’s taking forever, despite the fact that I have short arms!

1 Like

Nanci, I think you have the hat and sweater knitter confused with me. I talked to Natasja Hornby, the knitter featured on the front page of Ravelry, as she was knitting, and I’m delighted to say my article here on Mason Dixon Knitting inspired her to actually make the project a reality, but I cannot take any more credit for those projects than that! This is Natasja’s sweater, and this (to be clear) is mine! (here’s another angle of my son holding his breath while I photographed a finished sleeve seam!) Stay tuned to September 3rd here on the main site where I’ll model the final sweater!

And thank you for making Eddy a reality in your life! I set the video holder up this morning to see how well the things works! All is well.

3 Likes

I’m three rows away from starting the scalloped edge. Will not do more tonight but likely tomorrow…stay tuned!

7 Likes

Both sweaters are gorgeous. I will stay tuned for a pattern eventually. Which is why learning the technique with the shawl is important. Not to mention having a lovely piece to wrap in for warmth this winter and to also show off when it’s finished, at one of my Fiber Arts Guild meetings. It’s always fun to have something for our show and tell segment. Still working the endless last sleeve on my California Coast sweater before I can cast on. Hampered a bit by two quilting projects with September deadlines, taking up time so only knitting in the evening right now. Good thing I’m retired. I’m loving being able to fully involve myself with creative endeavors.

2 Likes

Ooh…I want to be where you are!

I’m only at this point because I shamelessly abandoned two other projects to start the Eddy Wrap. Learning to do Entrelac drew me in, but now that I’m almost at the shells it may take me a long time to understand and absorb the directions.
Should be a great adventure! Julia, I think your video setup is about to get a workout!

5 Likes

Thrilling! Keep going, Maureen–the world awaits …

1 Like

Thank you for posting this! I am about 10 rows in and was just about to post to see if the line that was developing down the center was something to be expected or a flaw in my kfb technique.

I love the fabric this yarn creates!

1 Like

Great, I’m glad my posting helped! I agree that this yarn is yummy.

1 Like

Well, it is my dearest hope that the shell directions are perfectly understandable. The brilliant Sue McCain was the tech editor for the pattern and @nellknits worked up a mini-sample as a test knit to make sure all was clear. While reading through without yarn in hand the directions may seem alien, but I imagine it will be just like any new thing at first: once you’ve knit a shell the rest will fall into line like ducks. However, I know many knitters are visual learners so the video will be invaluable. I’m going to try to film the first one today.

1 Like

I am so totally in love with this pattern! I absolutely had to have it the minute I saw it (which almost made up for not being able to hit “buy” the minute I saw the original shirt, mind you!) and I knew exactly what yarn I had to use! Gauge? What gauge? Gauge, schmauge!

It’s karma, I tell you, that this pattern came to MDK this weekend, because today, August 27 is our 24th anniversary, and every year since I began “Seriously Knitting” if you can imagine my husband and father saying this as if it were a serious illness like leprosy, one or both of them has always gifted me with something to do with “my condition.” As in, on our 20th, 4 years ago, we were in Ireland and they got me both handcrafted wooden needles and (for the 20th) 20 skeins of every freaking color of wool the Blarney shop had! Every single relative is getting tired of that wool, lol! I’m making Dad his (and my) first daughter designed cables cardigan with the last 14 skeins for his 96th birthday in December - whew!

But 2 years ago, we were at a fiber festival near Gatlinburg, and a I was looking at yarn, of course, and all of a sudden my youngest daughter springs up out of nowhere! She tells me to come with her, all excited - she’s helping her friend. A year ahead of her in Vet school with her mother’s alpaca farm and they have all kinds of alpaca yarn to sell… well, you had me at yarn!

Hubby bought me 1000 yards of the most gorgeous homespun alpaca and silk sari combination I’ve ever seen, and I even got to meet “my” alpaca! Her name was Susie and I’m sure she will totally approve of using her beautiful homespun in a combo with some carefully curated brights to match the hair and pick up the flecks of silk in the saris.

I plan to cast on this afternoon at the Biscuits and Blues concert at the Park that Hubby is performing in. I’ll be the one behind the big bass with the needles.

4 Likes

Please send me a link to that handy, unattractive piece of equipment! I need one!

1 Like

I love it already. But then, I love oatmeal-colored garter stitch.

Casting on during a late-summer concept will be the lucky charm for this epic project. So excited to see this one!

1 Like

sure will: it’s the Avantree Cell Phone holder, linked at Amazon.

Funnily enough, a friend of mine with a new baby says these things are handy among the midnight feeding set because they hold a bottle and clamp to the headboard thus:

3 Likes

Concert, not concept! Darn you autocorrect, or typing, or something!

made total sense to me, either way!

First Video! This one for the Right Shell Border, Beginning-of-Row Shell, beginning with 7 sts, increase to 14 sts.

Right Border Shell Video

Second Video! This one is for the Mid-Row Shell.

Mid-Row Shell

4 Likes

The mid shell vid doesn’t seem to be there. Great video, it looks easier than I first thought. I think I will go stash diving and give this a whirl. Thanks Julia.

OMG my daughter has 8 week old twins and I will have to show her this one. Love it!

1 Like