6-foot Scarf Resembles a Snake

Is there a way to block it flat. It is cotton and about the size and shape of a toilet paper core. I blocked out a little of it, but most of it rolls.

Hi Barbara!

Been there, for sure. Is your scarf by chance knit in stockinette stitch? It is notorious for curling at the edges, and it’s not something I’ve ever had luck in fighting.

Anyone have luck with undoing a supercurled scarf?

1 Like

It sounds as if the scarf has been made in stockinette stitch; knit 1 row, purl 1 row…
Try this - wet block it and when it is dry roll it long ways with the purl side up, as you roll the knit side will be the outside. It won’t cure the nature of the stitch, but it will give you some flat wear time.
I roll all of my scarves to store them (even before Kon Marie!)

1 Like

Hmm well if reblocking more vigorously doesn’t work I think your only option left (besides embracing the curl) is to pick up and knit edging on each side of the scarf… OR perhaps sewing on a fabric lining to the back of the knitted piece? Those would help with the curling issue. Next time you want to make a stockinette scarf I’d recommend using a wool blend yarn, OR making an edging on the scarf in garter stitch (knit one row, purl the next) to prevent curling. Good luck!

Another option is to undo the cast off and drop every third stitch or so. I’ve heard that’s a cure for curling stockinette scarves.

1 Like

I sympathize! I knitted a cotton scarf using mostly stockinette stitch but with some lace patterning thrown in to try to prevent the Big Roll. Despite extreme and repeated blocking, the stockinette prevailed and any time I tried to wear it, I soon got the toilet paper roll effect you mentioned. Someday I intend to stitch the whole scarf to fabric, which might actually be nicer anyway, since the color of the fabric could peek through in the lace sections.

1 Like

Oh dear, I feel for you. The rolled edge is a notorious side effect of stockinette, a result of the imbalance the stitch has between the front and back. The V has about a third more yarn on its surface than does the bump side, so the front of the fabric curls back. You can fight the notorious curl in future projects by looking for a more balanced stitch pattern. Garter is a popular choice, seed stitch, moss stitch, or a regular rib as long as the ratio of knits to purls fight the one third rule, so 1x1 works, 2x2 too, but one purl stitch (or two) for every three knit stitches across the row is enough to keep from curling. More knit stitches than in your pattern that and you get a snake.

2 Likes