Another Shakerag question

Well into my Shakerag. I’m using Kay’s advice about alternating skeins on the single yarn sections but it’s still a bit wonky. A few big stitches and little holes. I’m thinking it will block out.

Has anyone rewritten the shaping using short rows?

1 Like

Following up on the above. My Shakerag languished in my WIP stack. I recently pulled it out and hope to finish it to wear this summer. I’m at the armhole shaping and realize I have 10 too many stitches. I’m not sure what happened. I must have cast on too many. This part calls for 24 increases. Do you think I can get by with only increasing 14 so that I end up with the correct number?

1 Like

Do you have 10 too many in total?
I think that you could adjust by making fewer increases, but the increases are done in 4’s, so you would have to adjust to 2 fewer or 2 more than the pattern calls for.
This can be adjusted by adding or subtracting 1 stitch from the front and back neck
The sleeve will be shallower to the body, but I can’t see how or why it would not work.

1 Like

Yes - 10 in total. I’ll probably do 2 sets and 2 additional stitches in the front. Or do 3 sets and subtract from the neck when I get there.

Thanks for the reply Nell!

Out of curiosity, did you do the stepped decreases at the neck/shoulder or German short rows?
I’m hoping the rest of this goes quickly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have yet to knit this! :flushed:
I would do a sloped bind off which is simply slipping the first stitch of each decrease to smooth the edge.
I am a huge fan of using German Short Rows though.

1 Like

What? Is that allowed??? :smiley:
Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Adding to @nellknits reply. I just finished a Shakerag top in linen. It was recommended to me to change the bindoff rows to short rows. It worked beautifully. I did not write it, but you end up more or less reversing the numbers. A sloped bindoff will also work I think.

I’ve seen a lot of people on Ravelry do this. I’ll at least try to figure it out on paper.

What are your thoughts on less increases for the sleeves?

Thanks!

1 Like

I agree with @nellknits on that. This is not a fitted top. I would just get to the right number. (And writing it out is what I did on the short rows, I’ll see if I can find my notes if helpful).

1 Like