Applied i Cord Question

I am making an intarsia pillow from Painterly and I see the i cord instructions call for picking up the stitches all the way around, and then knitting the i cord. I learned to do applied i cord by picking up the stitches as I go. That way, you can slide the work back and forth on double pointed needles and you don’t have to move the stitches from the right needle back on to the left needle. Is there a reason to pick them all up all the way around first?

4 Likes

Wow, I think that’s a terrific idea and that’s a technique that I don’t (yet) know - but it makes great sense. Please post a progress photo!

1 Like

I do applied I-cord the same as you @JessM Just makes more sense, to me, to pick up & knit and I cord as you go!

2 Likes

Lucy Neatby has brilliant ways with intarsia. Google and YouTube will get you to her.

Thanks! I’ll check it out.

I learned from a YouTube video, it now I don’t remember which one it was. This time, as it turned out, I was having some difficulty picking up the 2-out-of-3 properly as I went along so in a rare moment of obedience to the pattern, I tried it by picking up all the stitches first and it is working beautifully. You live and you learn, I guess.

2 Likes

We are always learning!! Thanks for alerting me to a new way…

2 Likes