Bang out a Daytripper - February 2022

If you go the the home page (Return to MDK) the last line under the Bang Out A Daytripper banner headline has a “click here” to sign up.

I’ve finally made it to the Lounge!

I am excited to begin my first Bang Out A project…

I have yarn and pattern…

I have needles in appropriate sizes…

I’m ready to swatch!

But I’ve been for two days not swatching, sitting with my yarn and my needles, not knitting. Why am I so stuck? I’m feeling worried and helpless…

I’m thinking I would use my circular needles and cast on some stitches, knit in the round in magic loop, knit some in stockinette and knit some in color pattern, what next?

Can I measure my swatch without cutting the tube and without blocking in order to reuse the yarn if needed?

How many stitches should I cast on for my swatch?

Please tell me how you swatched for this project
:hugs::heart::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::woman_in_lotus_position:t2::heart_eyes::yarn::woman_shrugging:t2::weary::joy::star_struck::heart_eyes::heart::laughing::yarn::coffee::person_cartwheeling:

5 Likes

I’m in and my yarn has arrived :heart::yarn:I’m finishing up a pair of sock so my focus will just be on this

For anyone looking for tips and tricks before casting on, I updated the main post to include all the links from knitting the Daytripper when Field Guide No. 17: Lopi was released.

If you are interested in joining our cast-on party Feb 1st, sign up here. The Zoom will be a Daytripper 101 on the pattern, techniques, and anatomy of the cardigan. Mary Jane Mucklestone will offer inspiration and guidance to help you develop a game plan for success! We’re so excited!

8 Likes

Welcome, welcome!
This is a great question. You are on track with your thoughts, and if you cast on enough stitches, perhaps 36? you should be able to get a good gauge assessment without cutting.
I would use 32" needles and a modified magic loop technique for most of the sweater, and so that is the same needle I would swatch with.
As a really loose knitter I ended up getting gauge with US8.
See you at the cast on party??

3 Likes

When I swatch I aim for a 6" square based on the gauge in the pattern. If I am making a garment where the fit is important I block it. Blocking can make quite a difference in the overall size. Remember, a 1/2 inch difference on a 6-inch block can add up to much more in a completed garment. I don’t generally reuse the yarn. I attach the label from the yarn to my swatch and note the needle size used. Comes in handy when using the same yarn in a later project. I have no idea if you can use it after blocking, but my gut says be careful. Since natural fibers tend to relax in the blocking process this might cause a problem, but I have never done this.

3 Likes

Thank you!

That sounds like what I was hoping to hear.

I’m happy to hear you got gauge on 8’s, I was reading 10, 10.5, and 11 from most and I am also a loose knitter so glad to see the range open up.

Do you have any thoughts about what happens when blocking this yarn?

Did you stick with the 8 for the stranded colorwork?

Yes, I’m planning on the Zoom party and very excited. :blush:

Also, when you say modified magic loop you mean…?

:heart:

2 Likes

This is awesome, I’ve loved hearing about your swatching habits. I hardly ever do the same thing twice when swatching and the idea of attaching reference info is brilliant!

Thanks so much for the advice and as I’m pretty sure I have plenty of yarn I’ll probably go ahead and block after I decide on the best needle to see what happens. Especially curious about how my stranded colorwork will turn out after blocking!

:thinking:

1 Like

I wanted to swatch in the round but hate having to cut the yarn! I figure that swatch is always there in case of emergency even if I blocked it. I watched Magic Loop and love her traveling magic loop. My swatch has 40 stitches. I may test the stranded work on the top of the swatch or over 20 stitches so only one side has the stranding. Can’t wait to get going on the real thing! Look forward to seeing everyone on Zoom.

1 Like

I had to move up to 10-1/2. Plan to use size 10 for the ribbing after looking at the mm equivalents.

I already have a Daytripper, but I want a speedy project for February! I may knit along with a Destination Pullover even though it isn’t the “official” sweater.

2 Likes

Oh, I completely forgot to mention blocking which in my experience adds fill and bloom to the fabric. And I will probably use the same needle throughout.
What I mean by modified ML is that I use a 32" needle, and just pull one loop at the beginning of the round, where I place a marker on the cable. I knit until it’s no longer comfortable, then pull the RH needle out and make one loop again. The plus is that the division is rarely in the same place, so ladders aren’t a problem.

6 Likes

Looking forward to this knitalong. Bought my yarn. Still need to get needles. For some reason I don"t have 5.5mm circular needles. Will spend some tine figuring out placement of all colours.
Happy days!

3 Likes

I am sort of ready. I did one of these as a pullover with modifications when the book first came out (my Mucklestone mash up - one of my favorite sweaters) and have a bunch of leftovers from that and the trinket mittens. I have most of what I still need coming but desperately want a bit of apricot. You are sold out and so, it appears, is the rest of the universe. Any idea when mdk might be getting in more Lopi? Or even just a tiny bit of apricot - I am willing to buy a partial skein that has been rolling around under someone’s desk at world headquarters as I just want it for an accent color in the yoke!

1 Like

I did that last year. Ravelry: dsews2’s Mucklestone Mash Up
You do need to do a fair number of modifications but they are doable and, for me at least, rather fun. If you get stuck, I can dig out all my notes.

1 Like

Hi, Nell! Was thinking of making pocket linings as swatches, but I just cannot wrap my head around doing this top-down. The two other times I’ve knit pockets, they’ve been bottom-up. Is it a matter of putting the lining stitches on holder/waste yarn and casting on new outside stitches?
(PS Good luck with the appreaching weather; we look to be skirted over here in RVA)

1 Like

I’m excited, and hope I haven’t bitten off more than I can chew. This is my first sweater, my first colorwork, my first steek, whew. But my LYS is participating so I know I have help when I need it. I have purchased the pattern, picked out yarn (that was tough deciding on colors), did a swatch, and created a set of color charts using excel so I wouldn’t have to mentally convert colors from the pattern to colors I’m using. Now I’m just reading through the pattern to make sure I understand the directions, and looking up information when I’m not sure.

Wish me luck!

7 Likes

I started my swatch!

Cast on 36 stitches and used two circulars to knit in the round. Began with size 9, haven’t measured yet but I like the fabric.

Feels like a sleeve, excited to put some colorwork in tonight. :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

You will have so much fun - this will be my fourth!

2 Likes

Oh, when you knit top-down, the pocket stitches are held and the liner is knit down from the held stitches.
You can either knit a pocket top edge to work across the held pocket opening or do a cast on.