Beginning the Kites Throw from Painterly

I only decided after I had one repeat that was a curly mess with some errors in it. I still can’t decide if it’s the best or worst idea every…We’ll find out in the next few days…I’ll report if I find out why this is better or worse.

1 Like

Hi Everyone, Happy New Year, I’m in search of the Kaffealong Knit along. Silly me I just figured there would be a Title like the hash tag #KaffealongMDK but without the MDK. Is this the place? It looks like there are two (2) groups in the lounge Cityscapes and the Kites Throw but I’m doing the cowl. Thoughts??? or directions to the right place.
Cheers Sue

Copied from yesterday’s letter:
The Instagram hashtag is #KaffealongMDK. Go on ahead and follow it on Instagram. Or if you prefer, post your progress photos in the MDK Lounge. We are keeping our eyes on both places.

Thanks so much for letting me know. I investigated a little more today and figured it out. I’ve resisted Instagram (Facebook) on general principles. I just don’t like their principles and it irks me that I can’t just cruise around and research items I’m interested in without having a you must join pop-up.
But I guess I’m going to have to fold so I can participate.

Well now I have officially tried it both ways and I think it’s about 1000x easier to start the pattern after you’ve done the border. The tension is better, it’s not all curly so it’s easier to see what you are doing. Very happy with my first few rows of the pattern![IMG_1349|666x500](upload://bK

lleYL2zYamfmKDElljsyAU21K.jpeg) The tangle is really something but I do get very excited each time it pulls from that mess with ease.

8 Likes

I JUST STARTED THE KITES THROW KAFFE A LONG ON JAN 10TH.
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE TIPS

3 Likes

Hi Sue! Sorry we were a little late to the game but Kay posted our official Kaffe-along post in The Lounge yesterday! You can find the link here
Thanks for joining us!

Thanks so much. I’m almost ready to post a photo. FYI, a girlfriend and I tried to join the Zoom meeting. I waited 45 min. My friend less. I’m not complaining. As we all know, technology has limitations. We’re in California and we got the time right. I’m just giving you an FYI.
Cheers
Sue

1 Like

Thanks for the info! We had a mixup with the link that will hopefully not happen again! Too many zoom links to juggle on any given day!

1 Like

I did the cowl and a pillow and what i did for yarn management was to put each ball in a baggie and label the baggie 1 to 16 or whatever so in the evening i wouldn’t be guessing what color went with what number

4 Likes

Oh, what a great idea. Wish I would have seen this earlier today. I’ve only done 3 rows on the kite kit but now I’m really considering starting over with border first. Beautiful!

1 Like

I certainly have not found a down side to doing the border first. Might be worth working a few more rows of your current start, I definitely found a few things to improve on as I went and got much better at not catching multiple yarns in the cross over when there were only a few stitches. The other thing I highly recommend is putting in a lifeline every once in a while. I knew I didn’t want’t tear out the whole border if I had a problem so I put one in there, then I did it again about 1/2 way through the 1st set of kites - just in case. I’ve found having this safety net makes me much more comfortable.

3 Likes

I decided to use a TOTE to “contain” the THROW as I knit it. I also decided to make bobbins of yarn and store them in Ziploc sandwich size bags and lay them around the edge of the TOTE. The bags are slippery and are easily untangled. Using a 47 inch circular needle, I started with the 3 inch boarder first.
link to my ravelry project page: Ravelry: toesockpattern's kites throw

2 Likes

I did a bit more and then I decided that I was going to start over. Of course to justify this, I’m calling my first start my practice because I’ve never done intarsia before. I also started with probably too long of a piece of yarn. Going to cut it in half this time I had quite a mess. Thanks for your feedback.

Is it possible to fix a mistake a few rows down? Like, if you’ve done the wrong color on one stitch and continued on for a couple of rows with that wrong color…is there a good way to unravel the stitch and pick up the correct color? I’ve done this a million times with stranded knitting, but when I try to do it with intarsia it leaves big loops in the back.

It does leave loops but I’ve done it anyway. The other solution is duplicate stitch over the wrong color with the correct one.

Sandy

I would leave it if it’s just one steps. No one will ever see it😉

1 Like

That’s stitch not steps🙄

I have a few of these - must have been knitting at night and spliced in a “similar” color. In the light of day, with close scrutiny one can tell. Otherwise, not so much. It depends how much your eyes are going to always go to the “mistake.” I’m leaving mine (and I think I may already have 4 errors) and am pretty sure that the dazzling overall effect of the finished product will help the small errors fade. I urge you to knit on and not worry about the small stuff!

3 Likes

Lol—that’s not me AT ALL. I’ve tinked back row upon row when I see a mistake. I figure, I’m not in any rush to finish—in fact, I’ll be sad when I do!—so I might as well get it right :smiley: