Daytripper Buttons

I’m way behind on the completion of my Daytripper Cardigan, but I’m now ready to apply the buttons. That’s another story! The first buttons were ordered in early June, but rather than travel to Nashville from California, they decided to go to Hawaii for a few days of sun and surf. The second batch traveled to San Francisco to hang out with old friends for a week or so. Button shipment number three upgraded travel arrangements to flying FedEx overnight, but got caught in a vortex and failed to arrive on the designated day. Yes, I am now in possession of three orders of buttons, which all arrived at the end of June. My question: With the loose knitted fabric on the Daytripper, what is the best way to attach the buttons? I would appreciate hearing what others have done. This project has been a joy to knit. Thanks in advance for your responses.

2 Likes

I used backing buttons. You sandwich the fabric between one regular button and one small button, and it makes it easier to pull the thread tight. Plus the fabric doesn’t distort as much. https://knittingtraditions.com/product/2-hole-backing-buttons/#:~:text=When%20sewing%20buttons%20onto%20knitting,button%20that%20shows%2C%20provides%20strength.

1 Like

Two methods. Backing buttons, as the other reply suggests, but which works best, IMHO, with DK weight and thicker yarns.
For fine yarns, the use of a backing ribbon loosely hand-whipped onto the button band will secure buttons quite nicely, and also provide, should you wish it, a glimpse of decoration when the sweater is open. It protects the knitted fabric from pulling and beaking threads, since the ribbon bears most of the stress.

3 Likes

Thank you! I elected to use smaller buttons on the inside of the cardigan to secure the buttons and it worked perfectly. I will post my completed project soon!

1 Like

I put a backing button behind the button. I never did that before but it turned out great and was not difficult

1 Like

Instead of an actual backing button, a folded piece of either bias tape or fabric cut on the bias, in a coordinating color, can be used when the thread is more fine. Or, a small piece of felt.

However, the best idea when using Lopi or a needle-feltable yarn, is to create a tiny felted disc of the actual yarn, and attach it as if a backer button.

3 Likes