Edges on Color Explosion Throw

Has anyone done an edging on the outside edges of their throw? Im looking for ideas to clean up my edges.

2 Likes

I’m thinking about this, too! So far my only idea is i-cord edging, but I’d love to hear other ideas.

2 Likes

Agreed, wondering the same thing and I cord is my only idea!

You might consider a mitered garter border, but when you pick up along the sides you may want to go a stitch deeper than the slipped edge so that the fabrics meet up evenly. Same if you apply i-cord. The slipped stitch covers 2 rows of knitting and if you just pick that up the ratio will be wonky.

1 Like

Icord was what I was thinking too, but then I wondered if there was something to keep in line of the same look as our seaming of the four strips. I’m still mulling while I seam my last strip.

1 Like

Good tip, thank you!

I wonder if you could just pick up stitches along the edge and bind off right away. Kind of the same idea as the 3nbo, but without the second needle. I don’t know if there is a name for that! I will experiment.

1 Like

I like this idea! It’d also fit with the simple lines already in the blanket.

2 Likes

You know folks, just because we are mostly knitters doesn’t mean we cannot single or double crochet the edges. Simple, tidy, looks good, no need for endless stitches picked up.

3 Likes

Definitely another option. thank you.

I’ve done a garter edge in the past - usually around 7 - 9 ribs - using a log cabin effect on the corners, not mitered. I find it lays better that way.

3 Likes

I appreciate all the suggestions; Ive been thinking about every one of them. Tried a few. And in the trying realized there was only one edge that was bothering me; my cast on edges. I think I learned my spaced long tail was more spaced than needed:>)

1 Like

I plan on doing a double crochet edging around my blanket. I like the neat finished look.

Diane Berthelot

3 Likes

It’s been a while, but I’m finally finishing my throw! This thread is about edges, but I also had an issue with joining the strips. I love the 3 needle bind off, but I hate picking up so many stitches. Who can find two needles that are long enough? So I wondered if I could get the same effect with a crochet hook. After a little trial and error, I found that yes, I could! This photo is my first two strips joined with a crochet hook:

I still need to join the other two strips, and then I’m going to do some kind of crochet edging.

5 Likes

Well, after all that, I ended up going with i-cord edging! I’m really happy with how it turned out.

9 Likes

It looks fabulous! I had to try several different options as well, and love my blanket. One of the neat things about knitting, we can all find what works/looks best for our tastes. Now you get to enjoy!

1 Like

Gorgeous! Love your colors.

1 Like

Thank you! I went with the original colors from the Field Guide…can’t go wrong there!

Believe it or not it took me this long to finish my Color Explosion throw! The three panels are seamed with 3 needle bind off. It’s “done” but I want to do an I cord edge. How did you do yours? Pick up the slipped stitches? What size needle? Same as for strips? Did you hold single strand or two strands? Seems like you’d have to go down in needle size if just holding one strand. Thanks for any tips!

1 Like

Yes, I just picked up the slipped stitches, I think I picked up 12 stitches for each block, so sometimes I would pick up 2 in the same edge stitch. I believe I used a US 8 with one strand, so 1 size down from the main needle. I tend to overtighten my i-cord, so the largish needle was good for me. Another thing I did was pick up the slipped stitches as I went along, rather than picking them all up at the beginning. I like that method because you can adjust how many stitches you’re picking up as needed.

2 Likes