Emily Knits a Cardigan!

I have started my first cardigan! Right now I’m just swatching, and of course I made the swatch too big, but better too big than too small, right? :slight_smile: ( I hope?)
I’m making the Hannah Fettig Boothbay Cardigan: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/boothbay

I felt like since this is such a big project I needed to document it along the way, hence this thread–if anyone has any advice for knitting a first cardigan, or this one in particular, *please share your wisdom! :slight_smile: *

4 Likes

So right now my swatch was HUGE, but I got gauge so that made me happy. I’ve started the body of the cardigan–first piece is the back!

3 Likes

Ugggh! Just when I thought I was doing well, I totally had to frog the whole piece! I dropped a few stitched and I didn’t notice and then I tried to pick them up and it was just so messy that I frogged it all. I tried to get the stitches back on the needle, but no go–that’s one of my weakest skills. Oh well–back to the beginning!

3 Likes

It has happened to the best of us! Deep breath… Knit on!

4 Likes

Cute choice. How’s the restart going? Good luck!

2 Likes

The restart is going well so far. I’m only a few rows in, going to do more today!

4 Likes

I love the draping and the collar! For something that lucious, it’s worth doing the frogging. What color?

1 Like

That’s what I figured. :slight_smile: Better to frog! I’m using Quince and Co’s Lark in Kumilen’s Gull:

4 Likes

You’ll be able to wear that with anything. Can’t wait to see how it goes!

1 Like

Thanks! Yup, I love the color–I definitely wanted something versatile and honestly, I like how I look in gray! LOL

1 Like

So, update: I’m almost back to the place where I had to frog it, yay!!! That makes me feel better. :slight_smile: And once I get to that point I get to start raglan shaping which I am actually quite excited to try!

1 Like

EVERYONE!
Today I have finished the back piece–as in the straight knitting–and have begun SHAPING for the sleeves! Squee!
(Yes, I have the world’s worst nails, sorry. :slight_smile: )
I was amazed at how the binding off created that swoop!

5 Likes

Gorgeous color. You’ve got this!

1 Like

The BACK IS DONE!!! Huzzah! It’s hard to see here because the edges keep wanting to roll, but the back is DONE!
Next section: Left front.

3 Likes

So I was ALMOST done with the left front, and I count stitches and I find I had…too many stitches :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:
So, frogged again, and now I get to start all over! Fortunately I think I see where my error was and this wasn’t hard to do. I just have to concentrate more!

1 Like

I have finished the first front piece! Yay!!! It’s currently all twisty like a DNA strand so it won’t photograph well but I DID IT! :slight_smile: Yay! One to the second front piece and then…sleeves!

1 Like

Yay!! Can’t wait to see you wear it;)

1 Like

OK so the two front pieces are DONE YAY! And I’ve worked the cuff for the first sleeve, which is in garter stitch, and it was really nice to do three inches of garter stitch with no increases or special stitches. LOL.

1 Like

We have sleeves now! Well, one sleeve. Sort of. :slight_smile:

2 Likes