Fingering yarn held double, one skein?

I have a pattern that calls for one skein of fingering weight yarn held double. I wound my skein into a cake. Now I’m wondering how to manage the “held double” part. Do I just use both ends? Or would it be better to split the one cake into two?

Thanks!

1 Like

I think this is totally personal preference but I would split into 2.

I’d split it also. Whenever I try to knit from both ends of a cake there’s too much “twisting” of the yarns for me.

4 Likes

I would also like to suggest before dividing the ball of yarn, weigh the total amount first. This way you can divide it evenly. Enjoy!!

7 Likes

Agree with all the above. I just finished a baby blanket that had two strands held together and I wound a ball with both strands, so there was no tangling and knotting—an added step that pays HUGE dividends!

5 Likes

This is one of those questions! But, I’d use all that good advice. First, weigh (kitchen scales are great, after I clean the flour off my husband leaves), then carry the scale to where your yarn will be balled up.
Next, you can put the yarn into a basket on the scale (the weight of which you’ve zeroed out first), and create one ball of half the skein, break yarn, then the other.
Because, not only do you have problems with twist, but when you get towards the ends, the whole caboodle tends to knot badly, making you wish you’d split the skein.

1 Like

That’s the way I do it. So much easier to just have it wound up in a double strand ball from the get go.

1 Like

What a FANTASTIC idea!
I’m about to do my first two-strands-held-double project, and I would never have thought of this. Thank you!

1 Like