Help! My Sweater Is Huge

Lucky lucky lucky LUCKY friend!! :smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s cool!
I always wonder about the butterfly effect of these things. Friend loves it. Friend is warm. The sweater moves into a new space where it is seen, and perhaps inspires. Inspires!

I hope no one minds my chiming in with a smile and thumbs up at this 199 day old thread. Thereā€™s a big warning to the right of the box here asking me if Iā€™m sure I want to do this?

I am. Iā€™m sure I want to give a wave and shout out to that beautiful sweater, and the lovely person who knitted it. Howā€™s things been going? :smiley:

5 Likes

Things are good! I have since knit two perfectly fitting sweaters! Lesson learned

2 Likes

I took a workshop with Josh Bennett, a knitter/designer who does knitwear for high end stores. The topic was making your knitting more professional. One thing he emphasized was making a LARGE swatch, like half a sleeveā€™s worth, then block it. You canā€™t really know how the yarn will drape/feel/behave with a 4ā€ swatch. Hope this is useful information going forward!

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the middle of that with my Eclipse by Shibui. I knit a swatch, soaked and blocked it, got gauge and started knitting with 5.0 mm needles. Once I got about 6" knit I had a feeling things were looking expansive, took it off the needles and soaked and blocked my piece and it was way too big, the gauge was way off. I went to a size 4.0 mm repeated the process, finished size would have been too small. I started once again yesterday on 4.5 mm, pretty confident these are the needles that will give me the garment I want. It really is a process.

1 Like