If MDK Comments are Broken, Leave One Here

Congrats on your 50th!! We are only at 33, which seems a long time. And I’m glad your husband is on the mend.

1 Like

The first time I saw fireflies was while taking a weaving class in Ludlow VT. Each summer they were there to greet me as I walked back to my room.

2 Likes

Aah… the miracle and magic of a phosphorescent bug! I live adjacent to a meadow and one summer evening as a walked by I was treated to a veritable light show-thousands of little flickers in the darkness. Breathtaking! And oh…how I’d love a skein of yarn in that memory.

2 Likes

My moment of wonder-the birth of my first grandchild and then holding him.

3 Likes

The fireflies event sounds amazing, though what a photo challenge! I was similarly awed by the Mexican free tail bats under the Congress Ave bridge in Austin Texas. They come out at night to feed on insects, I hope not too many fireflies though, lol.

2 Likes

One moment of wonder I had was while stargazing within my mom at the end of our dock. We were waiting for shooting stars and chatting. Suddenly the sky lit up with the biggest shooting star either of us has ever seen. It had a pink tail, went the length of the sky and was simply amazing. (It was on the news the next day as it was so brilliant) we just looked at each other and decided we should probably go to bed because we would never see anything that amazing again!

3 Likes

Hmm, the comments never work for me so here goes. Love the new field guide and all its projects, love fireflies and sock yarn :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember the wonder of trying to catch enough fireflies in a jar to make a lantern. It never worked, but that didn’t stop us from trying.

2 Likes

Summer solstice is at it’s best as I let the dog out for her last outing of the night. I see the on and off flickering of fireflies, peaceful, calm, and quiet. Blissful in MN.

2 Likes

I can’t tell if my previously entered comments for the beet journal were saved so this will be a two for one comment.

Does anyone know how to remove beet stains?

Moment of awe comment include watching your child accomplish both large and small tasks, ie making a soufflé or sewing on a button, especially when these tasks are done as a gift to another.

3 Likes

The same day the president was filmed looking directly at the sun I had traveled (from western Mass) with brother (central Texas), and sister (Atlanta area) to North Carolina to experience the total eclipse of the sun. I mostly went for the pleasure of seeing siblings I see only every few years, and never together, and was stunned by the sublime sense of calm and peace during the totality.

Also, the fireflies are back in my yard! They haven’t been seen for the last three or four years, but as of two nights ago, they are flashing in the night sky!

3 Likes

One of the most magical and wondrous sights I’ve seen was out in Wyoming on my honeymoon years ago. Early morning snow landing on flowers in full bloom. Magical.

2 Likes

My moment of wonder was swimming near Kalk Bay in South Africa with penguins. There’s a small beach you can swim to (or scramble over rocks to) that is also home to penguins. All the humans behaved as if they were in church, 50 years ago. Soft voices, slow steps

2 Likes

Looks like comments are busted and I’d sure hate to miss a chance at the giveaway.:cry: I’ve only ever seen fireflies once, on a visit to Lexington, Kentucky, and they were quite amazing even without all turning off simultaneously. I’d love to see that. My tale of wonder was seeing icebergs in Newfoundland. Who knew a big chunk of ice could so charismatic?!

1 Like

Just last week as I looked out my window at the late afternoon sunshine, it started to rain. I only had to wait five minutes for the most vibrant, completely-full rainbow to appear from one side of the harbour to the other, soon to be followed by its double-rainbow twin. I couldn’t stop looking at it and said out loud, “How can you not believe in magic?” That’s pretty “wonder-full”!

2 Likes

My moment of wonder is the full moon. I mark it on the calendar and try to view it every month. I love the shadows it makes from the trees on the lawn. Maybe I’ll knit it.

2 Likes

I have never seen fireflies! I did go rowing at night once to see phosphorescence in the sea as we dipped our oars.

2 Likes

Thank you for reminding me that witnessing synchronous fireflies is on my bucket list. They’re just a short drive away!

2 Likes

2,057 votes and 41 comments so far on Reddit

Wonder: Parrots and snow, in Australia.

5 Likes

Had no idea about those fireflies!

A wonder: that spaghetti mash that becomes a beautiful lace shawl ones blocked.

2 Likes