I'm going to be a granny!

Wondering how practical it is to knit a baby blanket that isn’t machine washable/dryable? I want to use a Freia Shawl ball to make a blanket…

2 Likes

Congratulations! It probably is not practical at all, but it would be lovely! I’m thinking maybe ask the parent(s) how precious they are willing to be with baby things?

3 Likes

Yes, I agree with that!
I think it would be lovely to have some heirloom things, as long as the parents know they have to be somewhat careful with it?

1 Like

I made a blanket from a wool-bamboo blend yarn that worked up lovely with cable and trellises. It was always a pram cover or top blanket. It didn’t need a lot of washing, and the first few shrinkings just added to the sculptural effect. Now that baby is four; the blanket is perhaps half its original size. It is no longer a functional bedcover, but a felted square memento of babyhood. So that’s the worst that can happen. Your colors will still be dreamy.

1 Like

Congrats! I’ve knit blankets for babies and the answer to your question is “it depends” - on the parents and if they are willing to hand wash to preserve a non SW item. They may say they are but the reality of parenthood usually wins in the end and the blanket will get machine washed. Also depends on you and if you will be heartbroken seeing your “heirloom hand knit” get some rough treatment. If you are geographically close and can commit to laundering the item that might be an answer.

2 Likes

Congratulations! Knit what you love and share the washing instructions.

1 Like

Congratulations! I became a grandmother (x2) in the past year, and while I have no blanket thoughts to share, a favorite pattern book has become “Knitted Toy Tales,” by Laura Long. Among the ingenious patterns are those for pig and elephant stuffed animals. Fun, quick, much appreciated gifts!
Maria Fisher

3 Likes

Just be aware, the doctor’s don’t want babies under a year old using blankets. We have a one year old grandson and a 5 day old granddaughter. Things have changed since our kids were babies.

1 Like

Yeah, when I make babies blankets it’s usually for them to drape over their carriers to stay warm if they go out, or to lay on the floor so they can play on it. They can sleep with it when they’re older.

3 Likes

I made a little throw for my grand baby from a super wash. It gets used every day as a stroller and car seat cover. Parents love it and even tho it’s not an heirloom I enjoy seeing it used and appreciated.

4 Likes