kiki mariko rug

Do we do the blanket stitch on just the side edges of the rug (not the cast-on and cast-off edges)?
Thank you!

1 Like

Do it wherever you want to do. I’m planning on doing all four sides.

Edited to add: Wow, I just reread this and it sounds really snippy. It’s not meant to be. I wrote it with a big smile on my face. That’s part of the beauty of this project - you can really do whatever you want! If it makes you happy, then it’s perfect.

4 Likes

Thank you, and no, you don’t sound snippy!

I only did the cut sides because I liked the solid look the cast on and off edges already had. But I am a little worried about the corners so I’ll be keeping on eye on those.

1 Like

Here’s the final product-finished yesterday so I officially completed the whole thing within the month!! I just needed better lighting for my final picture and the snow adds contrast and shows off the colors more accurately. I never thought I’d say I love a rug but I LOVE THIS RUG!!!

Final size - 26”x43”

12 Likes

Your rug looks great! I finished mine last night, first time to steek but all went well. Now I need to do a binding or blanket stitch around the sides.

1 Like

Thank you!

Question - do we really need to finish the edges of the rug? Won’t the felting be enough to keep it from unraveling?

Every rug I’ve ever loved and washed has fallen apart. I’m only a quarter of the way through mine, but I’m gonna do all the edges. Some day.

1 Like

Thank you. That’s what I was trying to figure out! I’m just not thrilled with the edging per the pattern & trying to come up with an alternative solution.

1 Like

I did not finish the edges on mine, and it has held up fine so far. It’s being used as a bedside rug, so gets walked on at least twice a day, every day. I think it would look better finished, but I also couldn’t come up with a finish that pleased me, so I’m living with it as is.

2 Likes

I made my rug wider and longer and the extra length I calculated did not shrink as much as I expected. Can I cut off some of the length? I am assuming yes because it is all felted but thought I would ask to me sure.

Blanket stitch is a great alternative to whip stitch for the sides.

2 Likes

You should be able to cut with no fear.
You’ll have some lovely trivets and coasters…

2 Likes

Thanks Nell! Also I followed your process for felting (dryer felting is the best) and my rug came out beautifully.

Thank-you for your help.

3 Likes

HOORAY!! I am delighted.

1 Like