Knitting Barber cords

I just bought a set and I love them! Just be sure to really push them onto you needle then give a gentle tug to be sure they caught. I have only used up to size 6, not sure how easy they are to use on large needles.

The best part is how easy the stitches go back and forth! - not much different than sliding down your needles!

3 Likes

What diameter are these cords? How wide and how wide is the hole?

I’ve used them size 5 and 6 US knitting needles.

1 Like

I just slid the cord through the US0/2mm hole on my gauge tool and I have used them to transfer stitches from a US7/4.5mm pointy tip recently. Very clever little notion!

Hi @Sharon_Villines! I ordered these from iknit2purl2 (mentioned earlier here), and they arrived today. @nellknits was smart to use the gauge tool to describe the size. I was surprised at how small the diameter is, but they are stretchy. I can see how people are describing use with the needle sizes they are using.

• List item
3 Likes

Thank you. I have a spool of cord like these that is designed for crafts. I wanted to check to be sure it is the same size. I got it on Amazon and seems so. They also have a larger size.

2 Likes

I have looked for craft cord but got so busy. Can you let me know if it works and what to search for on amazon? thank you

1 Like

If you search “hollow rubber cord for jewelry making” on Amazon you will find many choices. The specific one I purchased and that works perfectly is the pink " CHGCRAFT 15m Hollow Pipe Tubing Rubber Cord 4mm PVC Pink Tube Cord with White Plastic Spool for Necklace Bracelet DIY Jewelry Making". After knitting many dozens of pink hats a few years ago, it’s a color I’m not likely to use often again so it seemed like the best choice for contrasting color. SIZE: about 4mm thick, 2mm hole, about 15m per roll — $12.49. It is rubber and PVC so not environmentally friendly but since it will almost last forever and is so useful, I bit the bullet. There are larger sizes as well.

2 Likes

Wonderful info-thank you!

1 Like

Love these! So worth it and the don’t fall off, even though I have yanked pretty hard.

2 Likes

I got 2 sets and it’s amazing how well they work.

1 Like

Agree! I bought several sets too and it’s a game changer on trying on top down sweaters easily and a breeze putting sleeve stitches on hold.

2 Likes

I have spare interchangeable cords as well; however, the Barber cords are much more flexible, which I find to be a great advantage.

2 Likes

I’m just now seeing this thread, someday I might have forums figured out! Last fall I saw a Facebook post about using jewelry tubing to hold stitches. I ordered some from Etsy and was amazed at how easy and much faster than using my circular cords or waste yarn. Works best to push stitches from cord back onto needle rather than pulling the cord—if that makes sense. I think if you try/use the cording, you’ll see what I mean. :wink: I ordered size 2mm (hole 1mm), 5 yds, $2.50, I think shipping was $3.
Website: 5yd Choice of Color 2mm Hollow Rubber Jewelry Tubing 15ft | Etsy

1 Like

That is a winner!

1 Like

When my size US 5 interchangeable needle tips were home and I was not, I kept calm and knitted on … using my 5 DPNs and a barber cord. Calligraphy cardigan, Atlas Lapis

3 Likes

Genius!!! Glad it worked out?

Worked so well that when I got home, I didn’t even bother going to get my tips! I may just try this method on my next sleeve - the cords will make a much softer magic loop.

2 Likes