Knitting Getaway 2022

Am a first-time attendee, for those of you those who have attended, do you have any suggestions— A friend and I are planning to an extended road trip with this as the feature. Are there sites in the area that are “must see”, any suggestions, etc.

Thanks

3 Likes

Excited to meet you in June! @lucy.fleming would be a great road trip resource in the area. She has driven the last couple of times. Sewanee itself is beautiful and the food is amazing. The Knitting Getaway will definitely be the highlight!

4 Likes

Looking forward to meeting you! My advice after attending a couple of times is to plan on arriving the day before so you are rested and ready for a great joyful reunion of new and old friends the first afternoon. I’m not local - have stayed in Monteagle and Nashville.

4 Likes

Welcome to the fun! I think the “sites in the area” question is somewhat dependent upon where you are coming from, but I second @lucy.fleming and @Ruleonard as great road trip resources. “Downtown” Sewanee is small, but cute and has some shops and a nice gallery, but you don’t need too much time to see it all.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response. Your suggestion is appreciated. My friend and I are first time attendees. We’ll be driving from Minneapolis. I’ve used Ravelry’s Road Trip Planner to assist in planning our route and have found several must-stop-and-see sites (also known as LYS).

4 Likes

June. I’ll reply tonight. Here is my email also -Lucy.fleming@gmail.com. Where y’all coming from.

4 Likes

I’ll be happy to give you a few ideas. I used to work for the local visitors bureau. Where are you coming from and how much time do you have?

3 Likes

If you can make it to the mountain the day before it’s absolutely lovely. The University fo the South (Sewanee) is there and it looks like you have stepped onto the campus of a small English college. Very walkable. There are some quaint stores, restaurants and Mooney’s Market is a
teeny treasure of yarn, food and treasures.
Looking at the map you should “do” Nashville. The Country Music Association Fest is the weekend before Shakerag and Bonnaroo in Manchester is the weekend at the tail end of The Knitting Getaway.
In Nashville there are many museums. I am getting great recommendations of the newly opened Museum of African American Musicians. Of course, The Country Music Museum.
In Nashville search out a “Hot Chicken” restaurant. Loveless Cafe is a touristy restaurant outside of downtown with homestyle cooking but there are several “meat and threes” in town.

If you can spend some time in Chattanooga you can visit the Tennessee Aquarium, See Rock City overlooks the city and you can “see 7 states” on a clear day.

If you are really making a long trip visit the Smoky Mountains, Dollywood is close to it.
This should get you started - let me know what you are interested in too.
The TN Dept of Tourism has a website that includes many scenic drives and sights to see too.

5 Likes

What knitting getaway?

This is great—just the kind of suggestions I am looking for. If anything else comes to mind, do send them along. I’m on the mailing list from Tennessee Tourism and have received some very colorful brochures them. The winter here in Minnesota is getting v-e-r-y long and it is such is a very good thing to have an ‘adventure’ to plan and look forward to.

A hearty thank you!

1 Like

Search for “The Shakerag Knitting Getaway” on the main MDK webpage for details. This is the fourth year this event has been held; this is the first year I’ll be attending.

2 Likes