Knitting thimble for stranding Lopi

I have not been able to knit with both hands - left hand is just too uncoordinated. I knit with my right hand and throwing the yarn. Lots of trouble keeping tension when I try left handed wrapping. Consequently, I am dropping and picking up yarns with my right hand and it’s clunky and slow. Has anyone used a knitting thimble on the right hand? I watched a number of YouTube videos and they are all for left handed/continental/wrapping.

Otherwise, any other hints for managing the yarns. I have watched lots of videos and checked my knitting books, but haven’t been able to use my left hand.

1 Like

In my very humble opinion…I think this is something that just takes practice. I would also say, if you are happy with the result, it’s not the end of the world if you need to drop and pick up yarns. Every other row or so you may need to untangle the yarn, but it’s just part of the process. Once the yoke is done it’s mostly one color and you’ll love it!

1 Like

I hold both yarns on my left hand, and it took some trial and error to find the best way (for me) to position them. This video contains a right hand way to do the same thing, as well as other alternatives.
VeryPink Fair Isle Techniques
I hope you find your comfort zone and have fun with this. I like to remind myself that every new thing we learn feels a bit awkward at first.

3 Likes

A BIT awkward?!
But then it gets easy and you can hardly remember how it felt at first.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I watched some YouTube videos and worked at learning to carry yarn in my left hand. All good.

3 Likes

I got one of these but only tested it once. I have no problem working with both hands, but wanted to see how it worked anyway. Others swear by it. Looks lightly Medieval to me!!

1 Like

I kept at it and learned to knit with both hands. Thanks.

2 Likes

I’m like you. I have one of those thimbles and thought maybe that would help. But it was obvious that I just need to practice with some yarn and get comfortable with it first. The yarn was falling out and it just wasn’t working for me. And as you stated, all the videos showed using the left hand, which if I could do that, I wouldn’t need it anyway. Anyway, thankfully, I’m through the colorwork now but it was very slow.

I use a plastic small yarn holder which looks like a ring with a lid on it - keeps the yarn stands separate, but on the same finger. Works on both right and left hand, for English and Continental knitting (or throwing or picking).

3 Likes