Kos Neckwarmer Knitalong

Karen, you kill me.

I love your posts.

I used to think I was a “semi-advanced” knitter but with less knitting time and advancing age I seem to make more mistakes. I started using markers for things like the marlogram scarf and now an Andrea Mowry shawl with what seem to be easy repeats… and I don’t make mistakes now when I’m distracted by Matthew Rhys doing his best Perry Mason or my new love CB Strike. I’ve stopped dissing stitch markers-- they slide by so quickly and I haven’t been ripping back since I gave in…

2 Likes

Finally finished mine. What a fun knit and I’ve already worn it on my early morning dog walks in upstate NY. This is going to get used a lot!
#arnecarlos #moderndailyknitting

8 Likes

Great colors - and it would be terrific in a matching hat!

1 Like

My Kos with light steam blocking, resting atop an upturned bowl, though I’m going to wet-block it before calling it final. I don’t wear turtlenecks anymore, so I divided the ribbing to make a collar. I haven’t trimmed the ends inside but have already been wearing it in our cold snowy and rainy spring weather. Love it! It coordinates with my down winter coat perfectly. Now I need another Setasdal Hat to match the Kos and coat.

10 Likes

Brillant idea for the “I can’t wear turtleneck”. BRAVO.

3 Likes

The second one is still a bit small… Frogging and starting over again. I suspect if I were using the Norwegian Wool it would be much too small at gauge. As a larger person with broad shoulders, I shouldn’t be surprised. Now I will know for future projects.

The Norwegian Wool is very gauge fluid. You can also add repeats. You might have to make a stitch count adjustment before you start the color work but that’s easy.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.

This question was asked by a knitter who could not use needles smaller than a US4, here’s my response:

If your swatch does not match the gauge and 22 stitches measure more than 4 inches, you could reduce your cast-on by multiples of 17 stitches to follow the color chart.

If it measures narrower than 4 inches, you will need to use larger needles for your next swatch.

That’s not all though. The ribbing at the cast-on is in knit 2 purl 2, a multiple of 4 - so you would need to cast on just 16 fewer, work the ribbing and then reduce 1 stitch before beginning the chart.

Further, with 1 slice of chart removed, the ending stitch count would be 90 stitches, and you will need to reduce or increase by 2 stitches to 88 or 92 to have a multiple of 4 for the ribbing.

This math applies to adding repeats as well

1 Like

Blocked and done!

https://global.discourse-cdn.com/standard11/uploads/moderndailyknitting/original/2X/3/35a42fb5a9b26cff6f78c4e29d858f94ea3111ef.jpeg

10 Likes

That’s what I do, except when I actually work the project, my gauge often changes from the swatch. So it’s still a certain amount of trial and error. I do know that I tend to work looser in a project than in a swatch, but not always.

1 Like

I don’t think you could ever use too many stitch markers. I use so many, I bought those lightbulb pins in bulk.

2 Likes

Absolutely love your reflection of the “surrender”… sharing your pain and Joy!

I finished my neckwarmer and it was such a pleasure to knit up. I think next time I may go up a needle size, and maybe knit the bottom a bit longer. It needs to be blocked so it doesn’t flip up as easily, but really happy with how it turned out. Sadly, the cold weather is over here so I won’t be able to wear it until the fall, but that’s ok. #arnecarlos #moderndailyknitting

10 Likes

:heart_eyes: I love your colors. And I intend to do the same with the neck, I’m not fond of a roll down collar.

2 Likes

Beautiful colors - the frost shades really look great together.

1 Like

Finished and blocked, just in time for today’s snow flurries!

#arnecarlos, #moderndailyknitting

9 Likes

I miss snow, we only had flurries once and no real snow at all this year in Maryland. The past couple nights have been cold enough, though… and I’m not finished yet with the third try on my Kos. :worried:

1 Like

Patty Lyons has an article to prevent the flip. I’ve used it three times, & it’s magic

1 Like