Let's Keep Each Other Company

As a longtime practitioner of ‘social distancing’ I now feel the naming of it has given me license to do what I’d rather be doing anyway. The truth is I probably have enough yarn in the house to knit for a year. Just have to remember to turn down the volume of the world and ‘be here now’.

12 Likes

My 2-out-of-3 grandchildren who live in another state are also feeling the crunch of social distancing, as they just had their spring break vacation deleted and now have to stay home. I started sending them silly postcards, gave them ideas to make skillet chocolate cookies together via FaceTime, and we talk about books. (btw FT = great technology to be alone-but-together these days.)
Someday, oh someday, I would love to teach them to knit - I even have a book on teaching children to knit but alas, no one has picked up the hint. Sigh. I wait patiently.
Anyway, this forum is a wonderful way to connect. I have 3 WIP, 1easy knit = simple garter square of stash yarn to create a square item to make into gift wrapping, 1 medium knit = socks (love socks!), and a in-depth-gotta-think project = intarsia mixed w/Kaffe vest (slow it goes).

5 Likes

I’m SO with you Sister! I work from home, I’m used to it and happy to be here. BUT— I can’t stop thinking of places I “need” to go right away(!) any more than I can stop touching my face every time I see/hear don’t touch your face.

My grown up child is home for a bit and I’m so happy about that, but I hope she gets a new job soon, but I hope not too soon… I’ve been introducing her to British detectives. We just did S1 of The Unforgotten and it was so appropriate somehow. The message that we are all connected in ways we’ll probably never know feels right, right now.

And there are LOTS of projects around here! Knit on!

4 Likes

Here in MD the schools are closed. Even the state and federal courts are closed to the public and about 95% of my cases are postponed. I have enough yarn, patterns and supplies to last me into the next decade. Next step: get the booze supply at the same level;).
More scary: our son and his gf both have it and are isolating in her apartment in Brooklyn. Thankful for texts and the fact they’re both young and otherwise healthy. But still scary.
Our weekly family Sunday dinner- a standing invite to anyone who can make it- is probably off today. Most of the extended family who can are telecommuting. The ones who can’t (a 911 operator and supermarket manager) have no traffic on their ways to work.
Elizabeth Zimmermann’s adage to knit on through all crises is making a lot of sense.
Love to those wonderful Italians (Neapolitans?) who sang from their windows into their streets songs of encouragement xo:)

5 Likes

That sounds really pretty!

1 Like

13 Likes

The top one is a prototype. I haven’t figured out how to do the las sail yet. Maybe use some stablizing stuff on it.

5 Likes

I am a nanny in Seattle, to a kindergartener and a 3 year old whose parents hope to keep a semi-regular work schedule at home. The mom works in a museum, so I’m not sure how long even she, the education director, will be able to put in her usual hours. I can, with some huffing and puffing and practice, get to work by bike instead of bus. I’m wondering when transit will be restricted.

I also have a weekend respite care job with a very active autistic 7 year old who is in his grandparents’ care after losing his parents in extreme trauma. I will be spending more time with him. Yesterday we rode the bus downtown and the ferry for an hour each way. It did give me pause when 3 young and grubby white men, reeking of pot, got onto our bus and sat right in the back where Gerald’s favorite seat is; I was relieved they didn’t ride far. I do expect to see more homeless people on daytime buses, with our libraries closed. I can walk to Gerald’s house, and I will, as long as we’re permitted to leave home.

A neighbor who has changed his diet gave me a stockpile of white chocolate yesterday, and I have bananas I need to bake. After Quaker Meeting by Zoom I’ll go out on my bike to lay in some butter and other baking necessities, along with zip-lock bags, and distribute goodies to neighbors on my side of our apartment building.

Knitting: check. My bang-out cardigan is nearly done, I’m working on a lap blanket/shawl, I have an unfinished wrap I might frog for a sweater. I’m not sure I’ll have more knitting time than usual, but I am prepared!

9 Likes

As a nurse, I appreciate both the seriousness of this pandemic, as well as the fear the media has been generating. I know that many of the people who test positive will weather this with about as much discomfort as a flu, but that the more susceptible of our folks need protected from exposure. I believe that decisions to close venues, limit gathering and social distancing are solid, and have been given good thought.by the people who have made them. This is not to say that people will not be negatively impacted. I am trying to support small business in and out of the fibber community so that we have them after this passes. I teach graduate studies online, so understand the value and opportunities of this type of learning. I also take nursing students into hospitals for clinical experience, and am struggling to reformat our education as we can no longer use this means to hone their skills. Ive seen unbelievable compassion and heartbreaking selfishness, and i guess that is the fabric of our society. I am so blessed to have this craft and community and firmly believe that my knitting reduces the anxiety that so many, (including me), are experiencing. I’m joining KALs and participating in live online knit nights. I’m a member of International Virtual Knit Nights, (IVKN), and urge others to seek out similar community. I have been offering assistance to those who are fearful to leave their home, and will continue to do so. I still strongly believe in the goodness of people, and have confidence that we will make it through this “new normal”, and we will someday look back on this time and reflect on the resilience of humankind. I wish everyone well.

12 Likes

Happy birthday to you and high five on googly bananas!

2 Likes

See if you can stream a church service! A friend of mine’s synagogue does it.

2 Likes

Thanks I did find one😀

2 Likes

Happy birthday! What a crazy time this is, yeesh.

2 Likes

:coffee:
I’m just fine over here staying home. This is nothing out of the ordinary for me and I’m not feeling like I need to go somewhere just to go somewhere.
The last time I ventured out was to drop off our absentee ballots this past Tuesday since I thought I was going to be up at our cabin. I didn’t go up because I plain old didn’t feel like the drive even though it’s only four hours. Maybe next week. Maybe not.
Since I quit my job as a maintenance supervisor in the auto plants I’ve got very little desire to see groups of people, especially the crabby kind. There’s no problem, so far, getting my most-used items delivered. I missed the auto-ship notification twice on dog food so there’s plenty of that here. My dark chocolate supply is good and my frozen foods come from a delivery service. Two freezers are packed.
In the meantime, I’ve finished three projects in the past three days. Einstein Coat, Yellow Wall Cardigan, and Fraser’s Ridge MKAL. Now, Stonecrop Cardi is in progress along with a project for the Vogue Knitting Ravelry forum’s 2020 challenge.
It’s all good. I’ve been stashing yarn since I was a kid. No kidding. I’m in that over 60 group now - officially I guess since it’s been two years since I hit the big 60. The other day I asked my daughter if that means I’m elderly. She’s the one that got me the Grandma to Twins status last summer. She didn’t want to answer the question about the elderly status. However, I was told by someone else that Elderly is 20 years from where you are now.
I can work with that.

Stay safe, be careful and take precautions the best you can.

10 Likes

Two things.
I am beginning to say things like ‘I’d murder a cup of tea’ and ‘He do a runner?’

Also I am using a bulky yarn I dyed to knit the Ginsberg by Norah Gaughan. I just started and I am a slow knitter so it should keep me busy for a while
That is all of my news for today. We had turkey kielbasa and mashed potatoes for dinner. No complaints.
Martha

7 Likes

Thank you, Kay, for throwing a positive light on this disrtressing situation. In Tampa, I am reworking my gardens to align with local plants, soil, and weather conditions, while still creating a pretty pink-hued pallette in a landscape that is sustainable and friendly to local song birds, hummingbirds, and butterflies. My sock adventure is coming along. We can do a lot for each other by reaching out to our communities and offering inspiration!

9 Likes

I’m working through some serious anxiety as I scramble to build structure into days that are suddenly empty of nearly everything but frightening news stories. Thank heaven for knitting, cooking, warm(ish) weather for gardening, cats, books, podcasts. I have been wanting to take up collage; what better time than now? Flipping my attention to these things helps to put me back on track.

Grateful to be a part of this fiber community, holding each other up when things are difficult. Inspired and warmed by the show of social responsibility I see here. And tickled to death by the googly-eyed bananasI

8 Likes

Let’s go with seniors.

3 Likes

Ha! Another contrarian. After months of finding the perfect rationalization why I didn’t need to go anywhere today I suddenly can’t seem to stay home! I wish I had the mentality to use cleaning/organizing to relieve anxiety, but alas, here I am reading posts about what others are doing with their time at home (and not even knitting!).
Three WIPs going and The Dutch House in my ears. My annual corned beef and cabbage for dinner for the nest few days.

6 Likes

A wonderful way to keep positive. I currently have 4 projects on needles. I have vanilla socks, Barnstable Shawl, Early Bloomer and Main Squeeze cardigan. I joined the party late with Main Squeeze but better late than never. I have health, food and plenty of projects. I will start Christmas gifts if I finish these. Take care, everyone. Stay well.

4 Likes