Lincoln in the Bardo: SPOILERS

It took a few pages before I understood the situation. Now I would like to hear the story. I found the plot so imaginative, amusing and sad. But I think it has a serious message. We are all alike. None of us will survive not dieing. I especially liked Lincoln’s struggle concerning the war. I had never really considered what would happen, if the states were allowed to leave. T
Thank you for bringing this book to my attention.

1 Like

I’m late to the Bardo party—just getting to it this summer, but enjoyed it very much. Like you, Kay, I wanted to know which letters were real and which were made up. To this end, I checked out Dear Mr. Lincoln: Letters to the President edited by Harold Holzer. I’ve enjoyed sampling the many, many letters sent to Lincoln, divided into categories of advice; complaints; threats and warnings, gifts and honors, etc. etc. Readers of this blog will appreciate that the Gifts and Honors chapter includes a note from a 91-year-old woman sending “a pair of socks knit with my own hands.” Even better was the note accompanying a scarf from Mrs. H. C. Crocker, whose sincere praise for the president ends with a P. S. “the scarf is some of my own knitting and inventing it I tried to knit a spread Eagle over your name but did not succeed.” Although the notes indicate that Lincoln replied, sadly, this reply and the scarf itself are lost to history.