Marlalong! We're knitting Field Guide No. 19: Marls

Hi, I’ll be joining with the Color Explosion Shawl. I’m thankful for the kit as I find choosing colors very stressful. I’ve already made a swatch using some felted tweed in stash (yes, I need to start my Kaffe Fassett Garter Stripe Shawl too!) so I should be able to start this weekend. Love the simple but addictive pattern.

I’d love to make the shawl/cowl too but I couldn’t decide on the colors so I will wait a bit longer so I can see how the many beautiful combinations come out.

5 Likes

You can do it! You have an important goal :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Your colors look awesome on your wood floor❤

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to getting home next week and trying this yarn (cotton wool fingering bought for a different project) for size and color combinations for color the Spectra sweater. Great to see tons of marling combinations here!

6 Likes

Got my throw started. It is addictive!

9 Likes

Please post progress pics!

I’m working on the Spectral using stash yarn. I can’t wait to see how this turns out - a very addictive knit.

3 Likes

It was a gorgeous, balmy afternoon to marl outside in Chicago.

7 Likes

And that bag!

4 Likes

Happy 6th MDK Anniversary :birthday:

3 Likes

Thank you. I did not even know that was a thing!!

4 Likes

Have my tweed and am about to start the throw! This is going to be fun!

10 Likes

I plan to knit the Swarf but am just about to finish two sweaters, so I want to wait to cast on. Ordered all the yarn from MDK, so I’ll be read to go soon.

5 Likes

Hello everyone. I am new here, and just ordered the yarn to start the Swarf pattern. Might someone be able to explain some of the instructions for me? I don’t understand the bit on the instructions for the front-“changing marls as indicated in Marl Table (either on Row 1 or Row 9 of pattern)” I’m not sure what the significance of Row 9 of the pattern is? As a beginner to marling, and not a super experienced knitter, I am wondering if anyone has any hints regarding how to keep track of the rows and marls? If so, I’d love the advice. TIA

2 Likes

I will look for the pattern. Personally I use a row counter— or you can make tick marks on a piece of paper to track rows of you are not comfortable counting in the piece.

1 Like

Hi, I’m looking at the pattern now (and happy to set up a call to talk this through if this doesn’t help). Think of the color changes separately from the pattern. The texture in the pattern changes on rows 1 and 9. Th marls are in multiples of 8. So you are not changing color every 8 rows, but only at the beginning of the change in sequence. Does that help at all?

2 Likes

This is such a lovely combination of yarns!

2 Likes

Oh, thank you, Sobograd. I think I understand what you are saying…maybe…I am going to try to make a chart and also see what happens when my yarn arrives. It looks like the first 64 rows are all one color combo, and I now see that it is 4 sets of 16 rows. So, I think in my mind, I can now understand what I am meant to do.

I do so appreciate the offer to set up a call, and I just may take you up on it, if I get confused when I start to knit.

–Joyce

3 Likes

I think the chart would help.

1 Like

The link to Cecelia’s suggestion for a finessed 3-needle bindoff is defunct, but it was easy to find several YouTube videos of it by Googling knit-purl bindoff. Interesting! I don’t mind the look of the original, but may try the modified one just for fun.

2 Likes