non-traditional cowl shape? what do you think?

Hello! I’m going to make a cowl for a friend. He mentioned that his wife has one that is perfect for him, and he showed it to me last night. It’s so unlike any cowl I’ve seen before.

This is my first post, so I’m not up to uploading pics yet. Let’s see how this description goes.

It’s knit in the round for what looks like 3 pattern repeats made up of 12 rows each. Then, another 3 pattern repeats decrease in length and are knit flat. The result is a cowl that has more fabric on one side (back 14") than the other (front 6.5"). It was 40" around for the bottom opening and 19" around at the other end.

I went to Ravelry to see if there was a pattern out there, but the first few hundred I looked at were more traditionally shaped. Y’all are such a knowledgeable group, and that’s not even flattery for the sake of a response. :slight_smile: Any search suggestions better than “cowl” or “hooded cowl”? Have you seen this unicorn in the wild?

Thanks for this community!

D

1 Like

I know this is not exactly the same as what you are mentioning, but would this work?

Otherwise I suspect you could modify any number of cowls to be more like what you saw.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I’m not sure I fully understand your description … but was it something like this?

6 Likes

Hi and thanks for mentioning Beginnings. I like that cowl, and I was headed in exactly that direction until he brought the sample. Now, I’m going to make the one from Beginnings for my mother as the next project. It’s a nice one!
Thanks, again!

1 Like

Hi @bluejeandolly - thanks for trying to picture my description. It wasn’t like that, but what you found is interesting. thanks for sharing! I’ll file that away, too. Thanks so much! -D

2 Likes

Thank you @Ann1 for recognizing me for good behavior and promoting my status to where I can add a picture. Here it is. (and did the description even come close? )

9 Likes

That reminds me of Starshower by Hilary Smith Callis. Her cowl patterns

3 Likes

Hi @virginiamae! Thanks for the link, and I think you are right about that Pattern.

When I use the app “Shazam,” it can tell me what song I’m listening to. It’s like you turned into the Shazam of pattern finders here. I put the picture out, and you told me what it was.

Thanks for searching it out!

6 Likes

Oh wow, I love that! I kind of hate cowls as a garment because they are either
Too loose to be warm (too far from the front of my neck)
Or
Too tight to be comfortable

I’ve solved that in the past by pinning them with a penannular brooch, but this one looks like it might actually be practical!

2 Likes

I so agree with you @Renniebrooke! Cowls tend to be too-too for me…um…too. :slight_smile: I’m so close to finishing a top/shell for myself, and then this is next on the list. Thanks for adding your reaction!

A cowl shaped more like a funnel, so it’s wider at the bottom, is actually usable. Straight tubes, even if split at the bottom like the MDK thing, do nobody any good. They don’t match the shape of neck plus shoulders.

1 Like

Maybe this is why I’ve always hated cowls! Honestly, I find them uncomfortable and they don’t do much for me. Maybe it’s because they aren’t big enough on the bottom!! I’m going to have to make a bigger-on-the-bottom cowl sometime and rethink my opinion on cowls……

1 Like

Seriously, that’s the answer. I will send you my favorite easy answer to the cowl, the Florida Fliat. It just sits where you want it, quick to make, useful to wear. Later!

Jenna Hoefert
NovaSkills, Inc.

| kendal711
December 2 |

• | - |

Maybe this is why I’ve always hated cowls! Honestly, I find them uncomfortable and they don’t do much for me. Maybe it’s because they aren’t big enough on the bottom!! I’m going to have to make a bigger-on-the-bottom cowl sometime and rethink my opinion on cowls……

1 Like

Any size yarn works, but fingering to DK is what I like best. You can use the larger needle size of the range that suits the yarn size, as it’s a lacy, open texture. A variegated skein of sock yarn makes a fabulous float.

To make the float, create a long I-cord from 3 to 5 stiches (see any reference for how if it’s not in your current skill set), making it the length of a necklace you can easily drop over your head, but that still hangs at upper chest. For most people, that’s 24” to 28”. This is the top of the cowl, so if you want it even more open, your choice.

Next, with the cord back on your left needle (double points are good to use up to this point, but now switch to circular), knit the cord stitches then rotate your work 90 degrees and pick up and knit a stitch in every row along the cord. Try to keep a consistent column of stitches to knit into, but if not, don’t sweat it. When you get back to the cast on edge, pick up and knit a stitch or two into the cast on to bridge the gap and join the work into circulat knitting. Yeah, try to avoid twisting it.

Now, place a BOR marker and begin the simple pattern of Row 1: YO, k2tog, ad nauseum, until you get back to the marker. If it’s not even at the end, so what! Row 2 and 3 are all knit. Repeat these 3 rows for 2 more times, then start increasing 8 stitches sprinkled around Row 3. I use kf&b increases for this.

Do this sequence of keeping the same stitch count for 3 sets of pattern, then place increases, and you will see the gradual shape change that creates a wide funnel. The open lacy stitch allows the piece to “float” into whatever place on your neck and shoulders you want it to sit. You will probably end up with about 54” or more when you get to the end. Stop soon enough to either do standard or I-cord bind off.

These can be worn as cowks, capelets, hoods, neckwarmers or even muffs for cold hands, if doubled. Enjoy

Jenna Hoefert
NovaSkills, Inc.

| kendal711
December 2 |

• | - |

1 Like

@Novaskillsinc and @kendal711 Thanks for adding to this discussion and bringing in another non-traditional cowl shape! (and a multipurpose one at that) :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Thank you so much! Can’t wait to give it a try once my Christmas knitting and Color explosion throw are all done! This looks great :blush:

if problems or questions, give a holler.

Jenna

1 Like

@virginiamae - I’m following up to say THANK YOU again. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I just purchased the Hilary Smith Starshower pattern, and I’m convinced this is exactly the pattern. (both as the shape and the stitch pattern) It begins with a garter tab start and is knit flat and then shifts to being in the round.

What my friend has is a smaller round, which I can adjust for. The pattern is the big deal, and you found it. I sure appreciate your adding to this discussion.

Happy New Year!

1 Like

Happy New Year to you, too! I was thinking of you a few days ago, when I wore my Appia cowl. It’s so light and cozy, and sits so well, that I wear it at home sometimes, beads and all! Hope you will enjoy knitting and wearing your Starshower. Have you decided on your yarn yet? V.

1 Like

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pivot-cowl/slideshow?fullscreen=1&start=63285283

Here’s another option - bigger at the bottom with a few sections. I wear mine alot.