Parallelogram Scarf

I started a parallelogram scarf but took it out after a couple of inches as I was getting long floats when I changed yarns and I didn’t like the looks and was afraid it wouldn’t drape right. Is there something I missed? I tried to follow the directions step by step but always got the same results. Tips knitters?

1 Like

I had the same thought, but if you look at the photos I think everyone has the floats.

1 Like

Everyone has the floats - true. :joy:

1 Like

Still sequencing. Fun to see how the color changes are going.

5 Likes

Stephanie,

I’m working on one that is also 161 stitches, and I’ve just gotten to the end of the first 2 balls. It’s long enough for a scarf but I want it a bit longer. Let me know if measurements would help you in planning yours.

LURVE your colors.

1 Like

Thank you, measurements would be nice, but I tend to like more of a “shawl/wrap” idea so will probably go larger (so if easy to do, great). I will confess that I was a bit skeptical of my color choices at first, but I’m liking it better as I move along. It took me a while to understand how the shape would grow, but I’m far enough along now that I can sort of imagine it.

Ch ch ch changes.

5 Likes

Looovvvve that Bowie song😀 Your shawl/wrap is looking Fabulous!!

1 Like

Thank you. And I love that song too!

Better photo now. Will definitely want it longer than just the 2 skeins I think. image

5 Likes

Off the needles. Not blocked Will try to get a better photo tomorrow.

9 Likes

I am just finishing my parallelogram scarf. Colors are from a MDK kit. My problem that every six rows or so I get a couple of rows with k2 p2 rib pieces. Is this me making mistakes have others encountered this phenomenon?
Hoping for an answer even though it is End of February 2019 and most of you did this end of 2018…

1 Like

I think this essentially means that somewhere earlier in the row (or the row below) you made an error either 3 or one of a k or p. I found this from time to time and then picked back in the row to where I screwed up. Depending on if it bothers you at all, or how much, you could rip back or just ignore. It is a large scarf that will be wrapped and smooshed and nobody will notice but you.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m suspecting that. I did just go ahead and finish. Maybe too much watching Grammys, Oscars et al. My scarf hangs to my knees on each side, but it’s interesting.

Before my mom claimed mine I used it more as a wrap/shawl, but I made the 161 stitch version. I agree it took more focus than I anticipated! I really like the outcome though. I hope you enjoy yours.

When I knit mine I was getting the floats too. Ivwthen started doing this adaptation: on the right side knit 2, bring both yarns forward, purl with color A and move back, purl next stitch with color B and finish the row. Floats are now gone or at least less visible.

3 Likes

I was excited to make this scarf, read all the articles & forum info for tips, etc, so appreciative of the info provided, and since I just finished mine perhaps my experience might help someone else new to this project:

Fun to knit the sequence, creates a diagonal ridge pattern, but had to pay attention. If off, had to TINK back not rip back cuz easy to drop stitches! Because of the shifting sequence I found it hard to read my knitting. Soon learned at the end of a row if I didn’t have 2 purl sts left before the increases or decreases I was off the pattern. I started to place markers after checking my sequences on the row I was working on so I wouldn’t have to start at the beginning again if I was off.

Lots written about length (too long) & width (make it wider to bring up length). To recap that info from various posts: most said casting on 101 sts made a very long scarf, some gave measurements like 100”, 104”, 122”. Kay made another where she cast on 181 sts which ended up being 16”x78”, and thought casting on 161 sts might get 14”x88”. Someone else doubled original 101 cast on and got 18”x74”. Kay also said that 181 cast on sts = 34”, 101 cast on sts = 24”

With all that info I cast on 153 sts = 23” edge, using US 5
Finished size: 12” x 110” (too long for me, I’m 5’4”)
Yarn: Freia shawl balls in Aurora & Vamp (used up as much as I could but since the scarf is too long I’m going to rip back to a length of 90” which is okay because I’m not thrilled about the dark end so that will get removed)

Bottom line this length/width problem seems to be all over the place! Could’ve made mine wider but again I’m happy to remove the very dark part at the end, will look better without it. Guess doing a big swatch is the way to go!

To minimize floats on color xg edge I used someone’s suggestion which worked very nicely:
“When I knit mine I was getting the floats too. Then I started doing this adaptation: on the right side knit 2, bring both yarns forward, purl with color A and move back, purl next stitch with color B and finish the row. Floats are now gone or at least less visible.”

Here’s what the finished scarf looked like, I haven’t taken the dark end off yet:

5 Likes

Oh wow, those colors are gorgeous.

Update from last post when I had not done a wool soak yet. Just did. The 20” I took out because it was too long just got added back although not quite 20”, it’s not on the floor but almost touching it. I laid it flat to dry, shaped it, but that skewed ribbed pattern that had dimension before the soak and helped take up the length flattened out afterwards. Just glad I took some length out! It would’ve stretched to this longer shape anyway.

2 Likes

But it is still beautiful and I hope you love it.