Praise for FG 19

I did find the correction on the main page of MDK after I wrote my comment/question. I didn’t know where the corrections were posted - not an expert at navigating the website. Thanks for comments/replies to my question!

2 Likes

I think that when you look at your swatches all lined up you still don’t notice the jump in colors. It really does just balance out and all blend when all the strips are put together. Armed with the knowledge that it’s upside down, and knowing where the jump should be, I can, if I look very carefully, see a jump, but would never ever ever notice it without specifically looking.

I love your marls and the colors you’ve chosen. I will be going with the prescribed colors, I had most of it in my indecently large Felted Tweed stash, which I am slowly whittling down.

I’m glad you are enjoying my crochet flower blanket on IG - thank you!!

3 Likes

Be careful what you wish for, grin. I’ve posted quite a few progress shots on my Instagram feed (Joyous360). It’s been a fabulous 6 month course, crocheting a blanket called ‘Wallflowers’. I’m on the border now and haven’t posted it recently; and just had to put it on hold until I get home.

2 Likes

Woody loves a Marl

7 Likes

I still have a languishing Felted Tweed set— 16 colors— from a couple field guides ago, and I’d like to use it for Color Explosion Throw. Would this work with even more colors, or better to limit to the specified 11 colors? Thanks for your thoughts.

3 Likes

It would totally work as long as you like them. Just micro-swatch away to see what combos you like best.

Has anyone cast on or is considering cast on the Spectra Sweater using Rowan Felted Tweed? I have plenty in my stash and so love those colors. Thoughts?

1 Like

Being the perfectionist that I am when it comes to my knitting, I’m struggling with having my knit stitches nice and tidy next to the purls in the Color Explosion Throw. I’m using the Norwegian purl where it abuts a knit stitch and it’s helped some but still doesn’t look as tidy as the ribbing in the picture of the Striped Marl Hat in the Field Guide. How do they get it to look so perfect? What’s the secret?

1 Like

As long as you can get row gauge (since it is side to side) I think it should work and would be beautiful.

2 Likes

Yes! Planning to knit a swatch during a conference call later today. :grin:

2 Likes

Funnily enough, today’s MDK post by @nellknits addresses exactly this. It’s easiest if you look at it, rather than my trying to paraphrase it here, where I may get it wrong. The post is “First Knitter: Color Explosion Throw” . It has tips and tricks for that transition between knit and purl; and a link to a cool three needle bind off technique for joining the strips together.

5 Likes

Thanks, @Joyous360!
@JennR I adore Felted Tweed but am not positive that knit doubled it will be the best fit for Spectra. If you achieve the gauge of 20 stitches 4", it would be firm and dense, and not a supple, flowing fabric that suits the design best. have you swatched?

1 Like

Hi @nellknits! Yes, I swatched yesterday and came to that very conclusion. Firm, dense, not seater-supple - all true! If only there were a gorgeous blanket that called for soooo much Felted Tweed… new plan! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

The timing of @nellknits was perfect! I did see that and have decided that the Norwegian purl is basically the same thing. Also, Patty Lyons had a post awhile back on this topic. She calls her solution “the lazy purl”. My last knit stitch before a purl is still not as solid as I’d like it but it is much better with this technique.

2 Likes

Love the Marlogram! I ordered two balls of Freia lace —in Squid Ink and Starfish. Had second thoughts about the combination but I had some of the brand new Rowan Felted Tweed Colour, a new Kaffe Fassett gradient yarn.

Decided to use the Rowan Magenta gradient with the Squid Ink and it’s gorgeous. Think black raspberry sherbet.

Plan to make a second Marlogram using Freia Starfish together with Rowan in the Chestnut gradient. May go up to US 5. Count me Hopelessly Marl-addicted!

PS Thanks for the tip on counting to ten and subbing k3 together through the back loop for the decrease!

3 Likes