Return to MDK

Pressed Flowers mods

Someone in the comments asked about my modifications to make the Pressed Flowers shawl into a rectangular wrap. I’m using a box of neutral Friea minikins for the flowers, and some Jill Draper fingering weight for the main color. Basically all I did was knit a 16 stitch wide stockinette swatch (1 pattern repeat). That was 3” wide, I wanted 18”, so that meant 9 repeats, plus one stitch to balance the edges. The chart has a block marking the repeat, but it looks best if you start 4 stitches before that block and go to the 12th column (through column 11 for each repeat, then col 12 at the end - it all comes clear when you do it). Then just knit! It’s so fun! The pic is only part way through my first minikin. I just got a box of the non-neutral minikins, I may work some of them in too. And I was thinking of doing one with 2 Friea yarn bombs, so the colors would be shifting everywhere. Endless possibilities!

4 Likes

Thanks for posting. This pattern has been rattling around my brain for the past week.

1 Like

Here it is further along, just starting minikin #4. I’ve found it is the perfect knit for me right now - after a few times through I didn’t need to look at the pattern. Very restful and yet not boring!

3 Likes

I’m considering a pressed flowers in cotton. Specifically Ella Rae Phoenix DK. Not sure if This is a madness or brilliance but I’m pretty sure it’s worth a try.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work fine in cotton. It makes a fairly thick knit, so you might have to use larger needles than normal. Hmm, makes me think about a cotton blanket…

Ooooh, I love this!

Finally blocking! I ended up using 7 minikins and about 900 yds of background. If I were going to do it again I think I’d frame it in a few stitches of garter all sides. But I’m very pleased with how it came out. Just in time for our next snowstorm!

5 Likes

Wow! Also, I love those wide floorboards! And the pup…

She’s guarding it from the cats. Her philosophy is nobody can mess with things except her!

2 Likes