Recommendations for first cardigan?

I’ve made countless pairs of socks, baby blankets & a couple of shawls. However, I’ve never gotten up the courage to try a sweater. Can anyone recommend a cardigan that would be good for a beginner? Something basic? A pattern that would be a good starting place for someone like me?

Sandy

3 Likes

Cardigan is a pretty broad category. So many different types and styles. I loved knitting long Sands https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/long-sands-cardigan
There is a lighter weight version as well.

2 Likes

Remembering back to my first attempt at sweaters/cardigans, my local shop recommended the Knitting Pure & Simple patterns. I started the raglan “Summer Open Cardigan”, found it very readable, doable, and easy. I still wear that sweater now, 10 years later.

3 Likes

Good morning. Great time to start something new. I have been a teacher of knitting for a while, and two great first cardigans are:

1. Sixth Street by Amy Miller. It gets 5 stars on Ravelry and is not too high on the difficulty scale! Also adorable and wearable for lots of different types of bodies. Great gauge, moves right along. In one piece.
  2. Estuary by the Berroco team. It also gets high ratings. Easy gauge, great usable shape. You can use two colors (IF you want) and this one is made in pieces from the bottom up.

If you need help, am I allowed to give you my knitting email since I’ve worked with these patterns?

3 Likes

For my first sweater I chose Ramona by Elizabeth Smith, and I think it’s a great choice for a first cardigan. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ramona-cardigan. It’s a simple once piece, top down, and easy to fit and adjust the length as you go. It uses chunky yarn so knits up quickly, yet doesn’t feel bulky at all.

5 Likes

I recommend the February Bang Out choice of Main Squeeze. Another bulky yarn cardigan that was fun and easy to knit. It was my second ever sweater and I just got yarn in the mail to make another.

4 Likes

I was wondering about that one myself! People really seemed happy with it.

1 Like

I really like that one! It’s such a nice, basic sweater. Thank you for the recommendation!

1 Like

Great recommendations! Thank you for taking the time to make the suggestions!

1 Like

I second the Main Squeeze. Super fast knit and perfect for a beginner!

3 Likes

Thank you so much!

I recommend Harvest by Tin Can Knits. Loads of video, tips and help on their site and Ravelry.

6 Likes

I’m about to start my first cardigan too! I choose Hannah Fettig’s boothbay from Home and Away for a few reasons: I can do it in pieces (ie, seamed), so if I mess up I can just take out a section as opposed to frogging the whole thing; there are no buttons!, and Hannah gives instructions for picking up BO stitches in the back, which is the only thing I haven’t done yet.( I’ve also done a lot of shawls and two blankets, no socks, though! )

2 Likes

I’ve not yet knit a cardigan, but if I were to do so, I think I would start with one for a baby or a child - I imagine the steps would be much the same, but smaller. Anyone agree, disagree?

1 Like

That makes sense. I think the reason I’m starting with one for me is because it takes the pressure off. While I want it to be good, if I have to frog or make mistakes, it’s for me, so that lifts pressure. When I make things for other people, I want it to be perfect. :slight_smile: I do have a new godbaby on the way, so I probably will make a cardigan for that baby at some point, even though said baby lives in Texas! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The idea of a baby cardigan is a good one. But if you want an adult size garment, there’s a beautiful new design by Biscotte Yarns, the Jane Cardigan.

1 Like

I realize I’m extremely late to the party, but I made a wonderfully simple cardi for a birthday gift and was very surprised at a) how easy it was and b) how not-easy it looked! It’s the Cobblestone Cardi from Brooklyn Tweed, which I made in Shelter. What makes it so great for a beginner is that it is all done in one piece, even the button band. You learn a lot of techniques painlessly, like wrap-and-turn short rows without having to worry about picking up the wraps. All in garter and stockinette. And the pattern is very clearly written for a big range of sizes (unisex too).

1 Like

Thank you SO much! I just retired and this will be a good challenge and sounds like an excellent way to break into sweater knitting! I appreciate that you’ve taken the time to give me the review.

Sandy

1 Like

Hi Sandy,
I love knitting sweaters. I prefer a boxy style that isn’t too fitted. I am really enjoying knitting the Castille Cardigan by Meghan Jones. (Ravelry: Castile Cardigan pattern by Meghan Jones). It’s very simple, but pretty and fast moving, and I am enjoying all the knitting stitches along the way. I’m using Berroco’s Ultra Alpaca, color Mahogany Mix. I, too, am retired, and am fortunate to be able to knit every day. I hope you enjoy whichever pattern you try.

1 Like