Refreshalong: Twining Wrap Talk

I learned cables as my 3rd or 4th knitting project, on socks, like 40 years ago! Just do baby steps, minding one stitch at a time! Best of wishes!

3 Likes

Your advice above was very valuable. But I am still confused how to know what to do with yo in section B ws rows 66-88. Should I refer to the increase chart to know when to p1-tbl on ws and or k1-tbl on ws?

This is the part of the instructions that confused me as well. You do NOT use the increase panel chart for this particular increase section (although you will use it again later as you get further along in the pattern instructions). For Section B you simply knit the stockinette stitch pattern for the increase section, then knit the section for the 1x1 right leaning twisted cable and the 1x1 left leaning twisted cable, then knit the section for the padded cable. If you look at the two photos that Ann1 (Leader) posted above you can see what it is supposed to look like. Hope this helps.

1 Like

I didn’t answer your question about what to do with the YO in section B. Since you are doing stockinette stitch you would knit in the back of the loop on the right side and purl in the back of the loop for the wrong side.

3 Likes

Jumping in and giving it a try! Thank you. I think I got it now :grin: :crossed_fingers:

I’m loving this pattern. So interesting and soothing to knit. And the NUA yarn is wonderful.

4 Likes

I love the pattern, but made a rookie-error with hand dyed yarn. Started with stash, then realized I didn’t have enough. Ordered more…alas! dye lot significantly different. Tried alternating yarns, but am not pleased with the results. Will have to buy Nua and start over.

IMG_1377

3 Likes

This is SO Pretty, though! :frowning: Sadness at starting over, but I can bet the Nua yarn will be delicious as well! I can’t wait to get some myself.

So lovely! I agree that pattern is obvious once you work through each section once.

1 Like

Hi
Ii am a bit behind everyone else but would really appreciate help with start rows of 41 to 43 so I get the swing of it.
In particular, where the padded cable sways row 2 should be purl, does that include the 2 Nd row of the increase panel with the 4 stitch edge alternating as previous in set up section.
Thanks
Liz
Toowoomba Australia

2 Likes

Hi Liz,
I am also behind everyone else and am actually at the same point in the knitting as you are…it doesn’t even mention slipping the marker that I still have at the end of row 41 so I have the same question as you do.
Do I knit the last 4 stitches at the end of row 41 and purl them on the 42 or follow the knit 2 purl 2 border? Did
you get a reply or have you figured it out yourself? I am a beginner so am knitting in slow motion😂

I had written Section 1 out in long hand as my field guide hasn’t arrived yet so decided to look at the ebook and noticed I had neglected to write the p2 k2 at the end of row 41 and since it says to continue in pattern as established I will do the k2 p2 at the end of the rows…:grin:

Hi Kath,
Sadly, have had no response from anyone despite putting my query on 2 of the Twining Threads - several days on 1 thread. So, am feeling disappointed and prob will find another project unless it dawns on me as I have tried to resolve it myself, researched on Rav etc. oh well,
Thanks for trying,
Liz

Hi Liz,

That is unfortunate that you have had no reply at all…I worked ahead on my knitting last night and it does work out if you keep the p2 k2 or k2 p2 going…one of my beginner mistakes was that on the purl side I was trying to do the increase section first and of course when you watch the video it shows that the increases are only on the right side (knit) of the shawl.

It certainly is a challenge although I think it is starting to come together. I always try not to look ahead so that I don’t get overwhelmed.

Good luck if you continue with this project or find a new one!

Kath

Always slip your markers when you come to them. There is a 4 stitch border on each edge. Maintain it! Increase inside the 4 stitch border of the right edge on the public side of the wrap. When increasing stitches for one of the wide cables you always purl that yarnover thru the back loop on the wrong side of the wrap. All wrong side stitches are WORK THEM AS THEY APPEAR! That means if it looks lIke a knit, knit it, if it looks like a purl, purl it.That changes only if you are increasing sts for the twisted cable. If you can operate a computer, tablet, or smart phone, and post on the internet, you can knit this. Think first, put it down and walk across the room or just do something else for a couple of minutes, then return to it. Panicing first seldom (never?) helps.
P.S. This HAS been covered before in a couple of the threads going for this wrap. I know because I wrote responses very similar to this one.

2 Likes

Looks great, and glad you’re enjoying it! I always find that the set-up for cables is fusty but once you’ve got a repeat done it starts to knit itself!

Hi. I’m not an experienced knitter so I didn’t try to respond when I first saw your post. Sorry. I know how frustrating it is when the directions aren’t quite clear. Since learning to knit, I’ve often thought the hardest part of knitting is trying to figure out the instructions. I will try to give an answer but am hoping the experienced knitters will respond if I say it wrong. On the 2nd row and all wrong side rows: Purl the padded cable and the diagonal cable sections (each are 16 stitches). On the twisted cable (8 stitches) purl the purls and knit the knits. On the increase panel in Section A use the instructions (Page 29 of the book). It gives the instructions for right and wrong sides (right sides are odd-numbered and wrong sides are even-numbered. For the increase panel in Section B it is a little different. You will purl the wrong side (and knit the right side) except for the last four stitches which are: knit the knits and purl the purls.

3 Likes

Hi. Please see my answer to Liz in Australia. On the last four stitches of each row (or the first four stitches of each row) do the following: at the end of the row you knit the knits and purl the purls. At the beginning of the row you slip the first stitch – if it is a knit stitch you slip with the yarn in back, if a purl stitch you slip with the yarn in front. For the next three stitches you knit the knits and purl the purls. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi Sherry,
Thanks for your response to Liz and I it was very helpful…I just finished cable segment 1 section A and started reading B so hopefully when I start it I will be able to follow along. I agree with you that the hardest part is figuring out the instructions of patterns in general as everyone writes them so differently.
I am enjoying trying to figure this one out as well as doing the cables and was so grateful that Carol had the video of her twisted cable for us to follow…not sure where I would be without it and this forum…thanks again…

Hi Kath and Liz,

I see you already had a few answers above. Another thing that may help is to copy and cut out all the charts and tape them side by side. I was constantly flipping pages for directions. I also wrote an f or a b on the cables on the charts so I didn’t have to keep checking to see if the stitches were held in the front or the back. Good luck!

2 Likes