Seaming Color Explosion Throw

I am ready to put my strips together. Do you pick up the edges stitches with doubled Rowan Felted Tweed or a single strand. And is the three needle bind off done with one or two strands?

2 Likes

The instructions specify using “1 strand of desired color.” I haven’t made this throw and had to read through the instructions several times to actually see and retain that little tidbit. It is on page 42 of the FG, 8th line in 2nd column. If I’m reading and processing correctly, all finishing is done with 1 strand.

3 Likes

Thank you! I have read the instructions several times and missed that. I’m excited to be blocking my fourth strip.

3 Likes

I just finished seaming my color explosion throw yesterday. I did it, reluctantly, with one strand and it turned out beautifully! It is perfect. Make sure and look at her tutorial on the 3 needle bind off as it taught me something brand new.
Now I am wondering if I should edge the blanket. I haven’t decided yet. I am making this as a wedding present and I wish it were mine!

1 Like

I tried the the new technique but ended up using the old one, which blended in nicely. I added a crochet edging which used less than 5 grams of each color. I think it finishes it off nicely.

7 Likes

Hi! Your Color Explosion is just gorgeous! The seams are very attractive. I am soaking and blocking my 4 strips now and am unsure about the set up for the 3 NBO. Do you pick up & knit the 1st strip from one end to the other , then keep using the working yarn when you begin with a new set of long circs to pick up and knit the 2nd strip, back up to the end opposite where the 10 “ tail is? Is it a snug join where you end the 1st strip and begin the 2nd. And does that sound about right?
Thanks for any advice you can give! This has been a wonderful project!!
Nancy

1 Like

You’ve got it exactly right. There was a post from either Ann or Kay about how they did it in the regular columns. I snugged up the end of the seams when I did the crochet border. Please post pictures when you’re done!

1 Like

Thank you! I watched a you tube video where the knitter was joining swatches, using 1 circular needle for the entire process of picking up & knitting. Made me wonder why not create one super long cable using the little joining pieces that allow you to make 2 cables into 1. Then pick up & knit both strips on 1 mile long (!) cable to set up for the 3NBO. might give it a try!
Happy knitting to you!!

2 Likes