Slip one purlwise tbl?

Hello. I’ve started knitting the Color Explosion Throw in Field Guide #19. I’m not sure I’m slipping the first stitch correctly at the beginning of each row. I think I understand how to slip purlwise through the back loop (but maybe not because I’m a knitting newbie). Am I supposed to be holding yarn in front sometimes and yarn in back sometimes? Seems I can get one edge to look okay, but the other edge not so much. I’m concerned that if I don’t get this right at the outset, I’ll wind up with with a bit of a mess on my hands when I go to assemble the completed panels. Thanks!

6 Likes

I did the slipped edge with the yarn to the front and then moved the yarn to the back if the next step was a knit.
The goal is a neatly slipped and chained edge, and that said, if you have a preferred slip method, use that and be consistent!

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply! As a beginning knitter, I find hints like this to be hugely helpful. It’s not always easy to figure this stuff out on my own, even with access to an enormous amount of online content. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, the yarn should be to the front and your needle goes into the back of the stitch. The idea is to not twist the stitch, so it looks like a regular knit stitch.

3 Likes