Still in Search of the Perfect Bag/Tote

They did not mke the Maker bag when I bought mine. It is the large cafe bag which looks similar. I have had it for five years, still use it. Still love it.

My go to bag is the Kipling Eugenia - I love it for travel and it can hold multiple projects - and carryon stuff like Ipad, snacks and a wrap or sweater. Shoulder strap, handles and zippered pockets outside and in. I may buy a few Tom Bihn yarn bags to stay organized. It squishes down too so it is not too big when emptyish - Iā€™ve had mine for over 2 years and looks like new - and it has seen a lot of miles. Bought mine on sale at Macyā€™s during a luggage sale! Ditched the little monkey day 1! :open_mouth: I know some people are horrified!

Forgot to add that the interior for the black bag is very light color - pale green? Makes it easy to locate lost stitch markers, etc.

From the Kipling website:
This spacious satchel is all about easy access! Plenty of outer pockets (two zip pouches in front, and one at the back to be exact) mean thereā€™s a place for everything before you even get to the inside! Dimensions: 20" x 14.5" x 9.5" Weight: 0.67 lbs

3 Likes

Slipped Stitch Studios has a project bag or tote for EVERY size project. Thereā€™s a really cool ā€œPick Your Perfect Project Bagā€ Page that helps you see which one is right for you. There are weekly shop updates with new exciting fabric choices, and custom options for something even more unique. All handmade in the USA. Check it all out here: https://www.slippedstitchstudios.com/

2 Likes

On the one hand, any bag can be a knitting bag. On the other hand, I like to have a special bag.

My main knitting bag is one that I picked up at the Bass Outlet in Manchester, VT last year. Technically, it was a Christmas gift from my mom but when I saw it, I had to have it. Itā€™s a reversible leather, square tote (blue on one side, grey on the other) with a long, thin strap on the inside that snaps onto a nicely sized zipper bag. My first instinct was to use that as a notions bag but, practically, it makes much more sense to use it for all the things that generally float around any bag I own. So there are a few notions in there but thereā€™s also quarters for random parking meters, mints, hand sanitizer, feminine protection, a few bucks, a pencil, a pack of post it notes and anything else I might want to drop in there. I have a good sturdy compartment box that I toss in with the bulk of my notions. It has a magnetic snap so nothing get snagged and itā€™s big enough to carry several projects but not so big that I bring the whole stash with me.

For project bags, I love the bags from my old friend Pantera Saint-Montaigne at Brooklyn Mojo. She hand prints and screens her fabrics and then sews them up into lovely bags. Her prints and bag shapes are constantly changing. You can check out her website or, if youā€™re local, you can see where she will be on her events page.

And not that I need one, but I am deeply coveting the pompom pouches from Brooklyn Haberderashery. I met Kristen virtually through Pantera and then in person at Vogue Knitting in New York last year. Iā€™m a fan of her stitch markers too. She has cool stuff.

All of this makes it hard for me to explain why my current baby sweater is in a plastic FoodTown bag on my front seat right now.

7 Likes

Iā€™m inspired to buy this backpack that I found through MDKā€™s story on shopping in Paris:

3 Likes

These are really nice looking. Since itā€™s made in Portland Oregon Iā€™m tempted to see if I can find it here! Iā€™d definitely save on shipping;)

2 Likes

Thanks, KC, would you please let me know if you find them in Portland?

2 Likes

Googled Ritual Dyes & found a few sources. On her (Rachael of Ritual Dyes) sells her Knitters Backpack for $96. A yarn store in Portland area, Starlight Knitting Society, sells them for $86! They stock 6 colors, not yellow though. Idk how much shipping would be;)

2 Likes

Thanks!! I really appreciate you sharing what you discovered. Knitters are the best!

2 Likes

I just looked at Starlightā€™s website, and they have the most adorable pins and accessories. I canā€™t believe I missed this shop when I was in Portland! Thanks again.

3 Likes

I use
https://www.amazon.com/Picnic-Ascot-Insulated-Backpack-Cooler/dp/B00IKIZBJO/ref=asc_df_B00IKIZBJO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194812759407&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10597840785167648563&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003367&hvtargid=pla-310589627962&psc=1.
I use it everyday and it has held up for more than 4 years. I travel internationally several times a year and this is the BEST bag. It is roomy with out being to large, easy to clean - wipe it out - and looks great. It doubles as a knitting bag/purse when you are on the go. Place for water bottle, notions, iPad, book/magazine. Not overly large. I canā€™t say enough about the bag and I get plenty of compliments on its stylish practicality.

3 Likes

Super cute! Thank you for the link.

I got two of the Larger yarn stuff sacks and I love them. The internal clip is great and keeps the yarn from tangling. Everyone who has seen mine wants one, Knitters and not Knitters alike.

3 Likes

A really cute knitting/project bag I ā€œdiscoveredā€ via Instagram is a wrist carry bag by Jesabelle B. She sells on Etsy; different sizes and materials. She also makes dpn & circ cases.

Just got a really cute yarn bag! Perfect size for a 50g ball or two and a small project; like socksā€¦if I knit socks;)

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a cute bag. Do you have a link?

2 Likes

Thanks! Itā€™s called a Yarn Owl. Made by DianaCouture.Etsy.com

1 Like

Thank you so much :purple_heart:

1 Like