Temperature Project Sharing and Caring

That’s an epic color card!! What yarn are you using.

Scheepjes Colour Crafter is the yarn I’m using.
I used this one in 2019 when I knitted my first one and still had lots left over of some colors so, went with it again.

Susan K Schutz

1 Like

I love this idea of just a trip blanket. It’s beautiful. Mine is made from the highs of every day with my trips incorporated. It’s interesting to see how a summer trip to Seattle makes a (somewhat) cooler blip in the hot reds of the south.

2 Likes

Progress on my temperature blanket. I chose a different timeline which represents the first year in our new historic house - july to july. I’m working a chevron pattern and wanted to show the extremes of the year - so I knit the highs until the fall solstice and the lows until the spring solstice. The white is all the snowfall we had last year, one row for each inch. I also put a yellow line in for a special event and a purl ridge on the first day of each month. When I took the picture, I realized that the blanket matches the floor border - not intentional!

12 Likes

Welcome, and thanks so much for sharing your very beautiful - and especially meaningful project.
I’m swooning over the floor!

1 Like

SO MUCH INCREDIBLENESS IN THIS TOPIC!

I just wanted to jump in with the suggestion that when we the few the proud the Temperacheers meet each other, in person or on the internet, we greet each other with “hi” and a date. Like, “Hi, July 15, how 'bout you?” I’m on July 15 today, and that’s all anyone really needs to know about me!

Related: why does the second half of the year seem to be going slower than the first half of the year? Is this the theory of relativity I’ve heard so much about?

xoxoxoxo Kay

5 Likes

from Imgflip Meme Generator

2 Likes

70rgas

3 Likes

Susan K Schutz
Happy member of the Susan Sisterhood

Michigan
Ravelry ID: MiYarnStalker
Flickr

70rjsg.jpg

1 Like

This would be my husband’s birthday so feel free to stay there for a while!!

Ditto on the floor. I mean the blanket is great too, but wow!

Hi, I’m January 27. Eleven months late start with one month nearly completed! Hoping to make it to the end of January before the sleepies hit tonight.

5 Likes

The reason I went with just tracking our travels was my husband’s suggestion when I lamented as I first heard of the temperature blanket project that I’d already missed the first month+ of the year. It’s been really interesting and he helps me keep track of the day’s temperature as we travel down the road.

2 Likes

Hi, I am September 1. August has been added.

11 Likes

Unfinished temperature blanket in LettLopi! It must weigh ten pounds!!

9 Likes

October 1st
I’m stuck on October 1st. The other night - Monday was it? Today is Wednesday, right? I was in my comfy chair knitting away and then it happened. The end of the ball of yarn appeared. No problem. Get out from under the blanket, out of my chair and over to the bin with the yarns.

No Almelo.
Oh oh.
Logged into Jimmy Beans only to find out that I did only buy one ball of Almelo (minty green) and that was in January. Apparently, I thought there would only be 328 yards worth of 60-64° over the entire year.

An order was placed yesterday morning along with some other colors that I might need to get through the next two months and the beginning of next year.

I just might have to knit mitered squares for 2023 so that my blanket is wider and more useful. As it is, It will measure 93" long by 36".

3 Likes

I feel your pain.

2 Likes

Getting closer to caught up on my temperature blanket. This is January 1 through October 31. It’s already 88 inches long, but (only) 66 inches wide, so it probably won’t work as a comforter. Sigh.

10 Likes

I’m totally stealing your cup holder in the door idea! Why I haven’t thought of that ,lol! I have put my yarn in the cup holder in the console but it isn’t really deep enough and it goes rolling around the floor when it pops out . Or it will jump out of its project bag. The door pockets in the truck are deep and are seldom used at all. Now I have a new yarn bowl to try the next road trip!

3 Likes

October 18 here

I made some progress and then got stuck again. How I missed ordering the color for my 41-45° squares baffles me. Last night I was cruising along thinking I would be done with October in the next couple days and then, squealed to a stop again.

Order has been placed and now working on my Old Friend Pullover again while I wait.

Susan K Schutz
Happy member of the Susan Sisterhood

Michigan
Ravelry ID: MiYarnStalker
Flickr

| kjt1211
November 6 |

• | - |

Skip this post if you’ve already done your temperature chart. This is for anyone who is still the fence and especially for anyone who things their climate is too moderate to get a good range.

One of the comments that I hear most often is that the climate where a knitter lives is temperate so his or her project would be all the same color. I’m here to tell you that that’s simply not true. It may seem true and I’m quite certain no one was actually lying but it’s all about context.

The real question is what’s a bitter/cold/cool day and what’s a warm/hot/surface-of-the-sun day wherever you may be.

Let’s look at this with some real numbers in real places.

In Miami Beach, FL where my stepdaughter lives, the high temperatures in 2021 ranged from 61°F to 96°F. That’s a 36 degree range of temperatures. In Yonkers, NY where I live, the temperatures ranged from 20°F to 97°F. That’s a 78 degree range of temperatures.

That seems like a big difference. Or is it?

This is the part of the program where YOUR temperature chart takes center stage. There are a few things you need to do before you start.

1. Repeat after me, “This is my temperature chart and I will do whatever I want and can afford.”
  2. Determine what number you want to use. Do you want to use the high for the day, the low for the day, or the average for the day? Or something else, it’s up to you.
  3. Decide on the place (or places) that you want to represent and what you want your start date to be.
  4. Take a look at the temperature history for the place (or places) you’ve chosen.

Let’s apply this now. Bree-Ann, my Miami living, beach baby stepdaughter has an historic temperature range from 61°F to 96°F. I’m going to go ahead and assume that people in Miami Beach are pretty miserable when it’s 61° out.

Since I want to have a good chance to use all the colors, I’m going to make a decision to start the chart at <68° and to aim for a final number around >95°F . Because the range is so small, I’m going to start with the three-degree chart to get started and work from there.

The three-temperature chart gives me the opportunity to use 11 colors, which is perfectly acceptable but what if I want to do more?

Let’s go look at the two-degree chart and see what that looks like. With the two-degree chart, we have 16 colors. That’s not bad so lets take a look at it. In 2021, there were only eight days under 72° and only five days that were hotter than 92° days. So I changed the chart to start at <72° and end at >92°. Then I changed my range to 1 degree per day and the magic happened. It hits a sweet spot at 23 colors. I added some colors and here’s what it looks like.

I think that would make a lovely blanket! So join in if you want to (or don’t if you don’t.) There are plenty of people here who will be happy to give you a hand.

3 Likes