Temperature Project Sharing and Caring

My Felted Tweed (MORE, to be more exact) package has arrived and I’m still planning. I’m emotionally team POP blanket, but as a practical matter, all of my swatch squares are a bit wonky. I’m up to size 6 needles and my circle still wants to puff up at me in the middle and my corners are pretty curly. . . Going to block that one and also go up one more needle size and see how it works out. If anyone has any other ideas on how to combat this, I welcome any/all advice - I’m not ready to give up on the circle in a square high and low temps!
I’m commemorating 2023, it’s going to be a fantastic, life-changing year, personally and professionally.

Dawn in Dallas

4 Likes

Baby steps!

9 Likes

Blocking magic going on right here! Deciding on needle size - down to three for the downselect. The top left is the Dallas Jan 1 high/low temp, the other two are practice squares before my temperature box o’Felted Tweed arrived. That smallest one on the bottom was a hot curly mess before it took a bath . . . never would have dreamed it could emerge so flat.

9 Likes

Love it. I tried one too and it looks pretty good but I’m just not sure this is the route I’ll go next year. Love to see them sewn together.

2 Likes

What color to join them with is another decision! I generally like the idea of one unifying color . . . But with all the varied low temps on the edges, I’m also tempted to pick a few joining colors different times of the year for less contrast, then a consistent border color.

2 Likes

First quarter (through March 31) temp blanket

10 Likes

Looking great!
I was wondering if we were all still working on our Temperature projects. I have two going but I made them simple.

The darker one is this year through March and the lighter one is is from 2004 which is the year we built our house. I’m up to the end of February so far on that one.

Same color/temp combinations.

I’m finding that 2023 has been an average of 5° higher each month than 2004 so far.

Susan K Schutz
Happy member of the Susan Sisterhood

Michigan
Ravelry ID: MiYarnStalker
Flickr

My Lomo Home

5 Likes

Love it. After my current project I’ll get back to work on mine.

1 Like

Yours is very elegant!
What is everyone doing about yarn ends?
Here is mine so far:

8 Likes

Progress! And golden colors…

10 Likes

The gold really shows up there. Was it an exciting change of temperatures?

When I get to my April 2024 I’m going to have a few days of bright yellow - average temps in the low 70s! WooHoo.

| nellknits
April 16 |

• | - |

Progress! And golden colors…

2 Likes

We’ve had a couple days at 90 already. I’m rather dreading what summer will be like here in Maryland. Also, I assume you meant 2023, not 2024? :joy:

3 Likes

Ah. Yes. It’s what happens when I have two going at the same time. I combined the numbers. :roll_eyes::grin:

Susan Schutz ~ Google Pixel Pro 7

1 Like

Very pretty!

I HATE weaving in ends and since the temps have been fairly consistent, I just carried the colors up the side. Since I use circulars (for everything :slightly_smiling_face:), I can just pick up and knit from either end. When it warmed up enough that I had not used one color for a while, and it has only been one color since the start of the year!, I just cut it. With carrying it, it was already woven in :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I will probably add some kind of edging on the sides anyway, which will cover any uneveness.

1 Like

When you say you carry it up the side, what do you do to make it secure and also to keep the edge neat? I also only use circs, but so far I have a new yarn edge and the turn back edge - (garter stitch, 2 trips/rows to make one ridge.) I’ve tried various ways to try and get the new-yarn-edge looking better. Right now I’m knitting the 2 colors together for a few stitches. It’s not worse than other things I’ve tried, anyway.

2 Likes

I’ve been weaving in the ends. Luckily, in one of my projects I’ve had longer stretches of the same color unlike the 2004 version where the weather must have been wacky.

2 Likes

EOR I knit all the colors on that side together. Depending on how many there are at the time, it does look nice. Sometimes most of them end up on one side or the other and it gets a bit less nice, but I plan to do some kind of edging (haven’t decided yet, I love I-cord but it will like be so long I don’t think I could stomach it!), which I think will neaten up any inconsistency.

1 Like

I think I will have to do some kind of crochet border. I’m certainly waiting to see what people do! And there’s no rush - we’re only in the 4th month! lol

I’m using a spit splice so there are no ends.

3 Likes

I was up to date until a few days ago when I ran out of a yarn color and had to order more. The winter in Los Angeles was unusually cold (for us, at least). Normally we wouldn’t have a high below 60 so I bought less of that color but went through it. I almost used up the single ball for 55 and below which I thought would go untouched.

Last year we didn’t have winter at all, not even our version of it.

3 Likes