Thanksgiving Feast Planning

What are you planning for November 24? Fancy? Simple? Recipe ideas welcomed!

My mom made this for a number of Thanksgivings, I will make it this year in her honor. Hits all the spots on the tastebuds and is easy to make. I could skip the stuffing and save all my calories for this.

5 Likes

Did you see the new smitten kitchen blog today. Cheesecake-marbled. Pumpkin. Slab. Pie.

4 Likes

Aour Thanksgiving was last month. My contribution to our family Thanksgiving dinner was a brussel sprouts and squash dish that was a hit. http://pin.it/rkHeeH7

2 Likes

My low-carb “almost Paleo” pumpkin pie recipe was in an email rather than online, so I can’t link to it… I will copy & paste it here if anyone’s interested.

I found a recipe for stuffing using a low-carb “bread” but I don’t know… it makes a 9x13 pan worth, and hubby won’t help me eat it (he doesn’t eat any kind of stuffing), and it’s just the two of us. I mean, I LOVE stuffing, but do I love it THAT much? (I wonder how well it would freeze… could put portions away and bring it out to go with roast chicken…)

1 Like

We will gather at my eldest daughter’s house. We will be missing our youngest who lives in Texas. Jen and her dad love to cook and show off how great they are - they are both excellent cooks - and they have relegated me to pie making. Mike’s mom is bringing banana creme pie. TDF. I think I will make an apple crisp.
My son is in charge of the brussel sprouts.

2 Likes

I’ve got only 10 people this year. Making the whole feast but this year the turkey will be a small one and I’ll also make a brisket in the slow cooker. Because a huge turkey is a burden and brisket is more popular.

Here’s a link to an MDK post that gives the recipe for savory Dilly Bread, and a link to the recipe for Corn Souffle/Corn Casserole/Scalloped Corn that is holy to my family. They’re both good, but if you just make one, make it the Dilly Bread. It gets incredible reviews and also begging.

https://www.masondixonknitting.com/the-not-so-sophisticated-kitchen/

1 Like

Banana cream pie should be on everyone’s Thanksgiving table. My mom used to make it back in the Days of Many Pies. Maybe I’ll get some mojo going and add it this year, even though I told Aunt Kathy to take care of all desserts.

I bet it would freeze great. I hate to think of you not getting any stuffing! Stuffing is the best!

1 Like

Slab pie always sounds so appealing. I think because I hear it as “a lot of” pie.

3 Likes

This is a brand new recipe from a keto blog I follow. I might have to make one.

5 Likes

Holity,

Most stuffing freezes very successfully. As long as there’s no dairy, eggs, etc. in it I would give it a go. Plan on using it within a month or two at most. And could you cut the recipe in half and make an 8 inch pan?

My motto with freezing anything is - it’s worth a try. Better that than going to waste. Jean

1 Like

Certain things are always done, and there are regrets if they aren’t: turkey and mashed potatoes from the Silver Palate; cranberry walnut conserve from an old Detroit Free Press recipe; pearl onions in some guise; my mom’s plain old Midwestern bread, celery, onion, and sage stuffing. Pies, of course, one of them pumpkin, but we / I keep experimenting with new and old recipes. This year the only guests are the two of us, and my husband luuuuuuuuvs chocolate, so I’m thinking pumpkin with a chocolate crust. Just saw a recipe . . . somewhere . . . .

This year I think the other side will be green beans with frizzled leeks, which I saw on Epicurious. (Oh, iPad, I really did mean frizzled, not frazzled.)

Yes, there will be Lots of Leftovers. Yum.

3 Likes

This looks very yummy. Would it be gluten-free? I have a friend who is a diagnosed celiac and I am always looking for dessert ideas she can enjoy with the rest of us. Jean

1 Like

Yes, it’s gluten free. The crust is made with almond flour. (Which is spendy, but for a special occasion…)

1 Like

It has both dairy AND eggs. But why would those make a difference in freezing?

ooh I just remembered these rolls, so yummy http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/cranberry-pumpkin-rolls-recipe

4 Likes

Ann! Thank you for adding this topic.
I can’t wait to read the comments and to find some new old-favorites. This year we are guests and will be with many new people. I’m making our favorite Thanksgiving accompaniment, Crescent Rolls
I must note that where they say shortening, I say butter, and I do reduce the sugar to >1/3 of a cup.
Another little thing that we’ll make is Pecan Tarts. This recipe is the same as mine - which is jotted in an old composition book, except it calls for pan spray. I have never. Nor do I chop the nuts, I just break them.
Recently I’ve crushed a dusting of Maldon’s salt over the top of each little browned and bubbling gem. Make lots of these, one batch is never enough.

3 Likes

I love that Brussels Sprouts are no longer that thing even the dog wouldn’t eat. I roast mine with chunks of carrot. Yum.

3 Likes

Those look wonderful, and it looks as if one could successfully substitute coconut oil for the butter. Wouldn’t they make a great vehicle for leftover turkey??

1 Like