Traveling Stitch or Cable? It's Not Brioche

I’ve spent years trying to find out how to do this pattern…most comments from Ravelry said it was a traveling st instead of a cable. Has anyone seen a pattern for this. I just think it’s gorgeous…any direction would be so appreciated, Cyn

3 Likes

That is pretty, hope someone will know. It does look like a cable except for the elongated, twisted stitches at the beginning of each cable.

1 Like

I will scan some stitch dictionaries and see if I can find something similar but it does look like a twisted stitch.

2 Likes

I too think it’s traveling because it never crosses over. Have you tried playing around with decreases? Or maybe find a simplier traveling stitch to learn the tricks? Good luck!

1 Like

No, I’ve never done a traveling pattern to play w/ it, but I thought the idea so pretty w/ a cable look and not the bulk

I’m not absolutely certain but I think it might be one color brioche. I don’t see any of the purl bumps you normally find in ribbing. In the one and only brioche project I knit, the stitch that faces the wrong side is carried across a stitch on one row then knit or purled with it on the following row which results in a twisted appearance between knit ribs. When I dropped a stitch it took me awhile to figure out the twist

The front band on this sweater has a similar look
Link to Ravelry Page

Looks very similar to pattern on hat by Hill Country Weaver’s by Vintage Prim. A brioche staghorn cable possibly with yarn over increase.

Also found this scarf that looks similar (not exact, but close)

Link to Ravelry Page

I think that actually is Brioche, and those holes are brioche lace. There’s a similar structure visible in this student swatch from Nancy Marchant’s Brioche class on Bluprint

1 Like

I am so curious to find out your answer.

Is basically the stitch
but the separation between the stitches and the appearance of another layer if you took at the holes in your photo makes me think it’s a hybrid of this concept knit as a single color brioche.

Thank you for replying…Similar but there’s a k,p,k,p and it’s rounded compared to BD Designs which is all knit…yes I thought it was brioche also, but none of the brioche groups in Ravelry thought it was…that it was a traveling st instead…shoot a pic of your trials please. I’ve never attempted the single color brioche as it’s easier to see my mistakes…Here’s the orig. pic for comparison, what ever it is, it’s sure pretty and be great in a scarf, Cyn

Hi Cyn,
I do love puzzles… although I am sorry this has been so difficult to solve.

There are elements that make me question the obvious solutions.

In brioche you get the twist and if you do a decrease of both yarns it leaves a hole.

To provide relief from the blanket I’m knitting I have been using up old yarn and teaching myself new techniques.

Therefore this is my only knit in round brioche project and I changed the decrease to eliminate the hole. This isn’t blocked but wants to lean. It creates the raised rib.

I also looked at Norwegian fisherman’s rib and two tail Norwegian knitting and a pattern for mitts than felt similar that I turned into a pillow.

I haven’t figured out;

how the yarn travels from the open loop into the next stitch without it either have been knit into the stitch below or a second carried strand.

how the spacing of the ribs seems neater than any brioche I’ve seen.

In the mitt pattern/pillow the ribs are knit through the back loop which keeps the knits snug and the one stitch cable lays flat.

My best evolving guess is

ribs might be knit 1 tbl, purl 1.

1 stitch cables could travel smoothly over purls.

When I enlarge your pic I think I see stitches behind the holes-leading me to think brioche

I’m helping my daughter move to California over the next month. As soon as I find time I will try to graph it.

Thanks for sharing and good luck.

Karen

1 Like

[

NaluMitts_rev.pdf
](https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1aVu1JQ5Iw9cXFuNGRYeHpUQjFFVm1Qd3NZbGFOdGJJMm5Z/view?usp=drivesdk)

Hi Cyn,

In brioche you get the twist and if you do a decrease of both yarns it leaves a hole.

To provide relief from the blanket I’m knitting I have been using up old yarn and teaching myself new techniques.

Therefore this is my only knit in round brioche project and I changed the decrease to eliminate the hole. This isn’t blocked but wants to lean. It creates the raised rib.

I also looked at Norwegian fisherman’s rib and two tail Norwegian knitting and a pattern for mitts than felt similar that I turned into a pillow.

I haven’t figured out;

how the yarn travels from the open loop into the next stitch without it either have been knit into the stitch below or a second carried strand.

In the mitt pattern/pillow the ribs are knit through the back loop which keeps the knits snug and the one stitch cable lays flat.

When I enlarge your pic I think I see stitches behind the holes-leading me to think brioche

I’m helping my daughter move to California over the next month. As soon as I find time I will try to graph it.

Karen

cynindesign

February 20

Thank you for replying…Similar but there’s a k,p,k,p and it’s rounded compared to BD Designs which is all knit…yes I thought it was brioche also, but none of the brioche groups in Ravelry thought it was…that it was a traveling st instead…shoot a pic of your trials please. I’ve never attempted the single color brioche as it’s easier to see my mistakes…Here’s the orig. pic for comparison, what ever it is, it’s sure pretty and be great in a scarf, Cyn

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

karen.hrycyna

February 20

I am so curious to find out your answer. Is basically the stitch but the separation between the stitches and the appearance of another layer if you took at the holes in your photo makes me think it’s a hybrid of this concept knit as a single color brioche.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hi Cyn,

I haven’t figured out;

Karen

cynindesign

February 20

In Reply To

karen.hrycyna

February 20

I am so curious to find out your answer. Is basically the stitch but the separation between the stitches and the appearance of another layer if you took at the holes in your photo makes me think it’s a hybrid of this concept knit as a single color brioche.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Just beautiful!

I was reminded of this thread and spent a little time today hunting through my library for clues. I came up with three possibilities:

1. Looking through Nancy Marchant’s Fresh Brioche book, there’s a collection of stitch variations that are like this stitch, but lack the lace component. I wonder if her “Staghorn” chart might look like this photo were the increases worked as a combination of decreases and yarn overs rather than “brkyobrk”.

2. It could also be a half Brioche stitch:
    Row 1: WS: *sl1yo, k1; rep from *.
    Row 2: RS: *p1, brk1; rep from *.
    Repeat Rows 1-2.
    which is essentially a k1 p1 rib where the knits are worked consistently as brioche stitches and the purls are worked normally, thus the lack of discernible brioche “shawls” over the purl stitches in the sample. Still, I’m unable to explain the yarn overs.

3. The other possibility (and this one is the most likely in my opinion) is stitch pattern #67 in my Japanese 260 Stitch Patterns book. (that’s a link to a Pinterest photo from a Russian pinner). This is a twisted stitch pattern, with pretty conventional yarn overs as the increases. It’s a three ribs “crossed” over three ribs “Cable” (it’s not really a cable but rather yo increases paired with decreases across the row), but you can see how this might play out were it expanded to 4 ribs over 4, as in the sample.

Only swatching would tell at this point, and I’ll get to it sometime soon. I’m intrigued.

4 Likes

Hi there! I was also intrigued by this mystery, and just saw this designer, Asja Knits, featured on the fruity knitting podcast in which Jillian Moreno also appeared (ep. 76). Look… Shanel shawl Is that the same stitch pattern?!?

2 Likes

While none of her patterns are exactly like this one, designer Linda Lehman https://www.ravelry.com/designers/linda-lehman has a number of traveling cable patterns (Columbia Beaded Lace Shawl, Climbing Vine Lace Wrap) that look very similar. At least one, Brioche and Traveling Cable Turtleneck Scarf, combines traveling cables with brioche. It doesn’t look like the example here. Maybe purchasing one of these patterns would help.

1 Like