Lopi Wool Blocking

Please could anyone advise on blocking a sweater knitted in Lettlopi wool. I’ve just finished for my son and have been googling this question. I read that the sweater will retain a lot of water and I can expect to wait about 3 days for it to dry. My washing machine doesn’t have a spin only cycle and after listening to a horror story of someone who watched her sweater disintegrate on the rinse and spin cycle, I certainly don’t want that.
I have a hand held steamer that I’ve never , does Lopi like to be steamed or am I best to go with the longer and hopefully foolproof method.
Thanks for any advice.

Hi there! I just gently blocked my lopi sweater in the bathtub with some Soak. Then I squeezed as much water out as I could and laid it out to dry for a few days. No fuss, no muss! I’ve never tried the steam method so hopefully someone else can chime in :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks MDK-Allison, I think that’s the way to go then. It will be the stress free way that’s for sure - not wondering if it’s going to shrivel up in front of my very eyes, or wondering if the only cycle that looks like a spin only (rinse and spin) is the right one. I’d just watched a video where some poor person had put her prized new sweater into the rinse and spin thinking that was correct, and ended up watching it felting up in front of her eyes.

Rinse and spin is really, really bad. You don’t want to ever have it under running water. The running water agitates the fibers and will felt them. The spin is just centrifugal force so it works well to get the water out. You also don’t want to ever wring it. Just gentle pressing with your hands. The water will come out.

If you’re not using a no-rinse soap then use the smallest possible amount. When you think it’s soaked in the water with the soap for long enough, drain the container, press the water out, and then take the garment out. Refill the basin or tub or whatever with clean water and then gently put the sweater back in and do the whole process again. Do this a couple of times until the water runs clear.

I just want to add that I layer my freshly Soaked and squeezed knits only towels, which I then gently fold and then walk over to press out a LOT more moisture. The towels become sodden and the garment is often just damp. I also turn everything as it’s laid out to shape -

4 Likes

That’s pretty much how I do mine, too. I actually roll my knits up in a towel. Big old beach towels are a lifesaver in getting excess water out.

Thank you all for the advice, much appreciated and will follow it carefully.

You can also have a fan blow across it once it is laid out, that will significantly cut down drying time.

1 Like

Thanks jrs, and everyone for your help. I had contacted the shop in Iceland before posting here and received a message saying I should wet block. I was amazed how easy it actually was - it only took 3 towels to get most of the water out and I laid it out flat on the airer in the garden where it dried out really well… I reckon another day and it will be done. :star_struck:

I usually squeeze as much water as I can, then roll the garment in a fresh towel and step on it. That gets a lot of water out and shortens drying time.

I love the ‘step on it’ part - never thought of that, sounds like such fun! Will add it to my process once I am ready to block :slight_smile:

1 Like

Worked like a dream for me, it’s nearly dry in just over 24 hours

1 Like

If by ‘rinse and spin’ you mean a cycle where it sprays water as it spins, just turn off the water supply to the washer before you run it. Let it spin, then remember to turn the water back on before your next load :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I did this all the time with my old washer. Nothing beats a good spin to get the water out…

Great tip, thanks a million

The “step on it” part really helps get the extra water out. Just make sure you don’t do it in stocking feet. Otherwise you end up wit wet socks. :joy:

2 Likes