Superscript Shawl Knitalong

Hello friends! Here is where we are going to shoot the breeze about the MDK Superscript Shawl Knitalong.

We’re going to have a big time knitting Amor Esperanza’s distinctive shawl, in the stunning yarn she dyed for it, Raíz. (It’s not too late to order Raíz from the MDK Shop. Amor is dyeing more skeins for us now, and orders received now will ship out the week of September 23.)

The knitalong officially starts on Monday, September 16. Needles up, and may the stitches be ever in your favor.

7 Likes

Sorry for dumb questions! “How” do I join the knitalong? I’ve got 3 skeins in my cart ready to check out, then I purchase the pattern on Ravelry? or from you? Do I come here to see videos and helpful hits and “talk” to others in the knitalong? thx for your patience!

3 Likes

No such thing as a dumb question here!!! We are all finding our way and questions are essential! This is THE place to ask.
Consider yourself “joined,” place your order for yarn, then pick up the pattern on Ravelry…or the other way around. You can come here to get to the videos, or go straight to YouTube and bookmark them. Clearly, I ramble on here (!), but the Instagram hashtag is another place to post. Choose one or both, whatever works for you.
Ask away…ask anything…your questions and you are warmly welcomed.!

5 Likes

Hello Everyone! This day has been marked on my calendar, circled in hearts, many many MANY hearts, because I am wildly excited to see all the Superscripts that will spring from your needles. AHHHH! Okay, now that the wiggles have been released…um, well, I’m off to the dye studio. But I will be taking my breaks in the lounge all month and I cannot wait to see your shawls take shape. I really mean, I CANNOT WAIT! I am the most impatient (or frenetically enthusiastic) Pisces you shall ever meet :wink: XOXO, Amor

10 Likes

Lovin’ your yarn, the pattern, YOU! So glad you are here!

3 Likes

If one does not know the answer, the question should always be asked! One more thing - have fun with both the knitting and reading about everyone else’s projects!

3 Likes

I have been waiting for this day! The yarn was pre-ordered in July and I have been reading over the pattern. I chose Version A - loving the elegance of the crochet inlay. Here are my colors caked up and ready to go

Yes, they are the colors Amor used for her shawl as I am color challenged (working on that but not there yet).
Now to cast on…

10 Likes

Catherine, these colors will not disappoint. I chose them because they were SO VERY SATISFYING to look at while I knit! This last comment now makes me think of dessert, am I alone here? Well my dear, Happy Knitting :slight_smile: I’m off to procure a slice of key lime pie!

6 Likes

Now I want “cake”!!!

4 Likes

I think I’ve decided I’m going to knit version B, and now my dilemma is which color for the center. Kay’s post about this really helps! I think I’m using constellation (navy) for the ends, linger (pink) for the center, and botany(leaf green) for the other bits!

2 Likes

Here I go! I got right to the point (heh heh). My other two colors are dark teal and light pink.

7 Likes

Hi Allison :slight_smile: This is going to be beautiful! Just want to catch you before you go too far. Something looks a little off on your canals. The slipped stitch canals (lines) should be uninterrupted. It looks like there is a little problem with your crossed stitches that is interrupting your canals. You can see on the video tutorial #1 what the canals should look like. And if you need, you can message me through Ravelry and we’ll get it sorted out :wink:

4 Likes

Could you please share the link to the videos? I haven’t been able to find them. Many thanks for the beautiful yarn and pattern!

Thank you! I see what I did wrong after watching the video. Good thing that I posted this before going too far!

2 Likes

Beverly you cannot go wrong with a nice navy. But then I always think that. The pink for the center will set off your hair and amazing eyebrows very well I would think.

2 Likes

Here’s the playlist of the first 2 videos. More to come–but these are the first two a knitter needs. Stay tuned!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0UZnr-0MtuWLkC8TgtsUkA

2 Likes

I’m knitting version B but this photo makes me want to do all those twisted stitches!

1 Like

If Amor is still reading, when it comes to attaching the I-cord wouldn’t the SSK decrease accomplish the same thing only be easier? Kay, thanks for the links.

1 Like

Thank you, Amor. I started with sequoia (dark brown) and am loving the color variations

Chocolate cake?

4 Likes

Perfect timing! I’m starting my 3 color, angular, clean lined shawl with surface embellishments at the same time as I’m adding surface embellishments to the 3 color, angular, clean lined house I just finished building. Must be, well… super scripted! :wink:

7 Likes