Bucket for summer!

What was your gauge? 22 sc in 4”? I have to go down to a 3mm hook to get that….

1 Like

I love working on the hat but I’m about to frog it AGAIN. We’re you able to get the tension at 22 sc in 4”? I’m about to go down to a #3 hook to try and get that. I’m SO FRUSTRATED!

1 Like

To be honest, I didn’t actually swatch. I used the hook suggested in the pattern and it ended up about 21stitches over 4 inches. I think I’m a tight crocheter (like my knitting) and as I neared the end of the pattern it seemed short so I just single crocheted around evenly a few times and kept trying it on. It stretched and actually fit very comfortably. I just considered it a learning experience and if it didn’t end up fitting me I figured it would fit someone! But I ended up very happy with it. Good luck!!

1 Like

Thanks! The only reason I searched was because I was playing yarn chicken and I wasn’t at the brim yet. I’m using a #3 hook now. Tension is better; I’m just not checking any more. :grin:

2 Likes

Help!! I can’t get anything close to gauge on this project! I’m down to a 3mm hook and still at 16sts/4 in instead of the 22st in the pattern. Should I proceed with the gauge I have or keep sizing down?

1 Like

What is your round gauge?
I am no crochet expert but the math that I would apply is to divide the stitch count by 5.5 (the gauge of the pattern per inch), then multiply that by 4 (your gauge per inch)
Following the pattern working 15 increase rounds measures nearly 4", according to the gauge)
In a simple world, you would have 66 stitches at that dimension.
Let me know if this is so, I’m happy to try to help you…

Thanks for your reply!

Why would I need to know round gauge in crochet? I know I get a different gauge between knitting flat and round, but I’m not understanding why you think that’s important with crochet, where the stitch is the same on front and back when you crochet flat.

But I do like the idea of adjusting the pattern to my gauge (which is what I might do if my knitting gauge were off) and will explore that. I admit my focus has just been on swatching for gauge and I haven’t read through the whole pattern yet.

1 Like

Because the pattern is written in a specific number of Rounds, that info would be very helpful in creating a wearable hat.

1 Like