Knit the Alphabet KAL

Swatched with a couple of stash yarns. The A is a vintage green sportweight (Red Heart 100% virgin wool!) with a cream DK for the background; the C is knitted with both yarns DK weight… I was worried the sportweight green would make the letters too wimpy, but I think it will be okay. Time to cast on!

8 Likes

I feel so dumb here but. . . why does my slipped stitch not look like anyone else’s?! Instead of making a vertical stitch it’s horizontal like a garter stitch.

2 Likes

Duh, I think I figured it out - I haven’t been slipping stitch on wrong side too.

4 Likes

I’m slow, but I’m having fun with this! I had yarn to knit a baby rainbow sweater, and I have decided to use the yarn for this little blanket. So the baby will get their alphabet and their colors, :innocent:

13 Likes

I wonder how this project (or anything with knit_grotesk) would look in Dyed in the wool :thinking:

2 Likes

I’ve been hoping to see a striped version! This will be such a cute baby gift.

4 Likes

Julie, this is brilliant. Your intarsia asterisk block has got me thinking about a blanket with random background color switches to highlight certain letters. Such as the person’s initial!

Not one little bit sorry I got you into this!

4 Likes

I already decided to do my initials in red when I get to the letters, aka the front of the pillow. I finally set this project aside when I needed to hunt down and find that missing skein of black. I’m taking a little break so I can finish the Shakerag Skirt.

3 Likes

Playing with numbers now. Turquoise :tada:

10 Likes

I love the stripe idea!

One more row of characters to go… almost done!

11 Likes

Making progress now that I figured out to slip the stitches on the wrong side too :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::joy:

9 Likes

That is BRILLIANT!

2 Likes

I’m using Vintage in orange and purple for a baby blanket. I am also using these erasable marker tags to know which letter I am on. It reallyhelps me keep track at the beginning of the letter/number.

10 Likes

I’m still having fun with this. Next up yellow, then orange and last will be red. The colors look better in person, oh well.

10 Likes

This is marvelous!
:heart:

I love this!

1 Like

Ta da! Also posted on Ravelry and Instagram:

13 Likes

I love how those letters pop out!

3 Likes

I am very VERY late to this party and I have a question which I hope I can articulate. I want to make a blanket for a couple that will have their names and wedding date.
When using the chart am I reading it from the bottom up or the top down? I probably just need to start knitting and it will become apparent. But I want to center the info….any guidance would be appreciated.

1 Like