Let's Keep Each Other Company

I’m five years older than my husband so here in our household I call it “Earthly Seniority” when he starts to get fussy.
:laughing:
He’s home from work with a cold. Late yesterday afternoon he got a text from his younger sister saying that their brother has started to show symptoms. For three weeks he’s been just dragging and had been to his doctor twice. Two days ago the fever hit and yesterday the difficulty with his breathing started. BIL is 52. His 30 something live-in GF was sick a month ago but got through it with no difficulties.
DH was with his bro and the GF two weeks ago for a college basketball game. BIL better 'fess up about that game if he tests positive. :worried:

4 Likes

I have never minded staying home and being retired means I can do what I want when. Spring has sprung here (south Louisiana) so there is lots to do outside. Weeding never ends of course. It is nearly time to prune the azaleas, and I have a lot of them. My hens are in full production, so I have eggs to share with my neighbors on either side (and we are keeping an eye on each other) and tried dropping a couple into my instant pot spaghetti just before I closed the lid and pressed start. They poached beautifully!!
On the knitting front, I always have socks on needles (2 at a time), plus I am stripping my way through Kaffe’s Stranded Stripe Throw. I have been stash diving and have a scarf in progress for the local senior center. There will be a matching hat to go along. Coming to the end of my Habitation Throw (Helen Stewart) that is using my yarn advent minis from last Christmas.
I have been working my way through All Creatures Great and Small again, after being reminded about it in one of the MDK letters. It is good to be worrying about a twisted calf bed or a difficult lambing instead of covid19.
I take a 3-mile walk every morning, which gets me out a little, but safely distanced. With schools closed as of today and the local University functioning online-only, there may be the usual walking people out…or more…or not.
The local public library has cancelled group functions, which means no knit group. I would appreciate any suggestions on virtual knit nights.
Janet

6 Likes

I made this knitting bag a couple of years ago, now it’s particularly relevant!

11 Likes

My office is refusing to close. Their great idea is that we carpool instead of using mass transit. :scream:

1 Like

Thanks for this. It seems to me lack of information and connection is one of the hardest parts of this so far. Luckily my office has us all working remotely now. And I too have an endless yarn stash for off hours. The weather in north Florida is good for walking or sitting outside. If anyone needs recommendations for streaming entertainment, I love The Great Pottery Throwdown -on youtube- and AJ and the Queen on Netflix.

2 Likes

Is it warm? Can you drive with all the windows rolled down? Maybe you should so when you arrive at the office you’ll all look all disheveled with wacky hair.

5 Likes

Really thankful for this, I’ve been looking for a virtual knitting group. I’m working on my Bottom Line Pullover in Manos Del Uruguay Milo in the Manchester colotway on Size 1 and 2 needles. The good news is that I’m on the body bottom ribbing.

I’m going to try to do the sleeves on 2 circular needles like I do all my socks. I’ll keep you posted on how that goes. Everyone stay well!

11 Likes

That is beautiful and reminds me to finish my Granito in Milo! It’s almost there, and has been almost there for a couple of years now. It has a little home in a bag on the windowsill…

6 Likes

From my kitty Bob

Get out all the toys!!

Snuggle under a blanket.

And strike a pose!

20 Likes

Love the casual paw dangle!

2 Likes

Put t’kettle on, Martha!

2 Likes

Let’s hope they come to their senses soon.

2 Likes

He is such a love!! His purr makes all the worries go away for a while.

3 Likes

Another way to help each other out.
Ravelry had a link to Knitty SOS where you can see vendor lists for Festivals that have been canceled. If you have the means and want to support a vendor who may have lots of fiber and nowhere to sell it, go here: https://knitty.com/sos.php.

4 Likes

Definitely do collage!!! I started art journaling last summer and took a collage workshop from my fave mixed media artist last fall. It is very therapeutic!

3 Likes

Nice enough weekend. Did some cooking and knitting. I had some serious startitis but ended up frogging the new stuff and returned to some soothing UFOs (Kate Davies’ Highland Rogue snood in her Buchaille). I finally seamed and blocked the sweater I planned to wear for St. Patrick’s Day. If it is dry by tomorrow I will wear it since it’s still chilly in Chicago.

I’ve successfully avoided all but the most necessary news but all the ambient fear and sadness keeps creeping in. It truly is a matter of survival that I avoid the personal stories coming out of, say, Italy, but the nearby ones inevitably find their way to me. One of my husband’s clients died and the family has to livestream the shiva. I don’t even know him/the family but I am just desperately sad about it.

8 Likes

Working on my Allium Cowl by @nellknits. Really enjoying it. Hope to have it done before all the craziness ends.

https://www.ravelry.com/projects/sabograd/allium-cowl

2 Likes

Here is how to watch or listen to Sunday Mass at St. Patrick’s in NY city.

Church officials said, “A private Mass will be celebrated in Saint Patrick’s Cathedral, and will be available on many cable systems via the Catholic Faith Network and its website at www.catholicfaithnetwork.org, livestreamed on the Saint Patrick’s Cathedral website at www.saintpatrickscathedral.org/live, and broadcast on radio on The Catholic Channel of Sirius XM (Channel 129).”

3 Likes

I am a go-go-go girl. I spent two weeks on the road (San Antonio and Columbus, Ohio) and had to try and get home in the midst of the increasing panic as my company cancelled travel while I was already gone. I had 10 work trips planned in the next 4 months. I am suddenly grounded and working remotely. Not to mention constantly worried that any cough, sniffle or chill marks the beginning of an illness as I have been exposed to a lot in the past few weeks. Genuinely worrying that I may have transmitted to someone unintentionally. (Although my new perfume, Eau de Purell, hopefully helped.) I am going to try and keep a schedule of both work and exercise, walk in the sunshine as often as possible and try and support my remote partners to the best of my ability. I know my knitting will be my saving grace.

5 Likes

I work at an academic medical library (supporting schools of medicine, nursing, dentistry, etc., plus a very large hospital) and although classes will go online next week, after spring break, the library is open, although at reduced hours. People can work from home - in fact, most of what we consider essential services, not to mention almost all our resources, are available electronically - but the university admin wants us open for students who might need our computers. So some of us have to be in the building. I’ve got several staff members who are immunocompromised, so are working 100% from home. Today was really stressful, and it was just the first day…

5 Likes