My Very First Sweater, Help!

I’m impressed!
I spent hours (literally) this past weekend trying to work the tubular cast on to start my own Weekender sweater. Prior to that I spent 3 weeks swatching!
I have finally given up and am thinking about starting a different project. It was recommended to me as a good first sweater project but it just isn’t coming together for me.
For what it’s worth, I knit my first adult sweater last July, Love Note, and it is certainly not perfect but I learned lots and enjoyed the process.
Love Note knit up quickly but I did it as part of a KAL and had a seasoned, very supportive member take me under her wings. She answered every question I had in a timely manner and had a knack for explaining things so I understood them easily.

4 Likes

I will trade you my tubular cast on for short rows/the wrap and turn! I’ve been practicing but I’m nervous to try it on my actual sweater.
I found the VeryPink Knits tutorial very helpful for the tubular cast on, she made it seem very doable. I really wish I could pop in to my LYS for some help, missing the days of leaving my house and meeting new people.

1 Like

When I knit my love note last summer I used German short rows rather than w&t and had little difficulty. Tin can knits have a great tutorial. A Wrap & t tutorial by purlsoho was suggested to me so you might have a look at it.
I have no trouble getting the tubular cast on stitches on the needle but once they begin twisting I have real trouble " reading" them and I think what happens is that I knit into the wrong part of the stitch because they are twisted.
I did decide to take a bit of a break and cast on something else to give my brain a break and decrease my frustration. I really want to enjoy the process so hopefully this will help.

2 Likes

I finished the body of my sweater!!! Every thing looks pretty darn good. There are some parts of the bottom hem that came out a little wonky, but its done! On to the sleeves! Any advice for picking up the armpit stitches?

4 Likes

Finally finished!!! Its been a week or two but I’m just getting around to post the finished picture.

She came out beautifully! I think I’m a garment making addict now.

6 Likes

That turned out gorgeous. What a wonderful job. Love your yarn choice.

2 Likes