Removing pills on wool

What’s your go-to technique for eliminating pills on good wool? I made a Main Squeeze Cardigan out of Big Wool, which I love, but it’s pilling pretty badly. This isn’t a complaint! I know that once I remove these pills that the wool will “calm down” and be fine. So: do you use a sweater rake, a sweater comb, or do you do what I did with a wool coat I knitted a few years back: i clipped off all the pills with a pair of scissors and the coat has looked great ever since. I was just wondering if a rake or comb would be faster.

2 Likes

I’m a Gleener gal – probably similar to a rake, but lots of options out there.

3 Likes

Ditto Gleener! However, @Ann1 is fond of Lilly Brush which they sell in MDK Shop (look under sundries)!

2 Likes

Have you used the Gleener on bulky knits?

1 Like

Yes, I always use it pretty “lightly” but it works on all knits, you get a couple of blades.

1 Like

I use a Velcro hair curler. I have a bunch of them and they still sell them at CVS. They are great for
pilling and gentle on your sweater/gloves/scarf as well. And you can still use them as curlers. They also make great cat toys.

8 Likes

I never would have thought of that! That’s also an inexpensive option.

1 Like

What a good idea! I love a multitasking tool :smiley:

2 Likes

Could you explain why you are confident that all will be well, no more pills after you treat the sweater?

1 Like

I can’t say I’m totally confident, but my experience has been that after getting rid of the messy pilling that happens when the garment has been worn several times when it’s relatively new, there isn’t much pilling later. I think this only applies to natural fibers, though.

1 Like

For my Main Squeeze pullover version, I pull off the biggest pills and then use my Lilly brush before spot-cleaning or soaking.

2 Likes