Bang Out a Hadley: No Wool

I would really like some options on fibers I could use for this sweater that would hold shape, is economical, and won’t make me scratch the top layer of my skin off. Not that I’m asking for much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have you tried cotton blends? My husband hates wool so I’ve used those for him.

1 Like

That is what I was thinking, I just wondered if anyone had favorite brands.

I was going to recommend Rowan All Seasons Cotton, but it seems to be discontinued. Boo.
Yarnsub.com list here none of which I’ve used…

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at Berroco modern cotton (a bit spendy) and Valley Yarns goshen.

Does anyone here have any experience with those?

I am knitting a sweater in Berroco Remix right now. It is sort of tweedy, wool-free, and has a lot of nylon in it. The color I am using looks just like wool but I don’t know if they all do. It’s 4.5 sts per inch and comes in lots of colors. Look around on the internet and you can find it at a decent price, MSRP could be lower. Have you tried KnitPicks Comfy? I am wearing a sweater in Berroco Weekend but I think it’s a little thick for Hadley. It is on sale at LIttleKnits for not too much, and they also have it in DK.

2 Likes

That is a nice looking yarn! I ended up choosing the berroco, and I will keep the one you recommended in mind for the next time! Thank you

1 Like

I’ve used remix too. Looks like jeans.

Hope it works out for you. I have a mild wool allergy, only on my neck, and even there I can wear the kind of soft wool meant for shawls, but it wears out quickly. I have had bad experiences with hand knits wearing out. Luckily, there are a lot of cotton blends out there, so far they have worn reasonably well, and they don’t make my neck break out in a painful rash.

1 Like

Brown Sheep has a wonderful blend and it’s well priced

1 Like

How about Cotton Fleece by Brown Sheep? It is a blend of wool and cotton and not scratchy. Berroco Vintage is a blend of fibers and was very affordable .

1 Like

Oops, I’m doing all wool… I think. Just arrived so starting swatches today!

1 Like

OMG. I’ve never heard of yarnsub.com! Thanks for the resource!

3 Likes

Good luck! I’ve never been able to knit a sweater from cotton successfully. :unamused:

1 Like