Startitis: I Hear It's Going Around

Is anyone else suffering from Startitis? I’ve got a wicked case of it this year.

7 Likes

I usually have it this time of year. A new year, must start all the new things! But not now, I currently only have two things on my needles! Thats not like me at all. If your startitis is contagious I hope to catch some! :wink:

2 Likes

Thought I would have (and even set up a few projects ready to go), but I’ve got finishitis instead. Absolutely on a roll with tying up loose ends and finishing projects.

Weird. It’s only a matter of time I’m sure before it switches to startitis.

6 Likes

I get finishitis every January. I try to take advantage of it because it is the only time of year I get it.

Startitis is beginning to gnaw at me a bit, but I’m trying to deal with it by having the new projects be test knits (they have a deadline, so I need to work on them pretty steadily). I started a test knit cowl last night. I’m taking the designer’s idea of a gradient and using mini skeins instead of 50-100g of fingering. Here are the yarns I’m using, although I think I will eliminate the bright coral to make the pattern stitch end evenly:

I have less than 2 hours knitting left to do on a cowl/gaiter for my youngest son, and then I will swatch for a sweater test knit that is likely to take me 2-3 weeks to complete.

If startitis gets bad, I have a few mini (3-4 hour) projects that I can knit to soothe the itch.

7 Likes

I’ve been doing a sample knit for the past month, and I’m nearly done - it’s been a very pleasurable knit, but I can’t wait to start something new. The good thing about all this time knitting one big thing that I can’t stop is I’ve had plenty of time to think about what I want to do next. I have a tendency to get caught in the yarn fumes and cast on things I don’t really need. So come next weekend, I will be starting a pair of mittens, a double-knit headband (I hate double-knitting, but I can deal with it when the finished product is worth it), and a swatch for a red cardigan. So exciting!

5 Likes

What a gorgeous palette for that test-knit cowl.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. These are not my colors, so it will go in the gift pile.

I am really pleased with how it looks so far. I just started my 4th color.

I finished my son’s cowl this morning, just in time for him to pack it for his early morning flight tomorrow.

I’m feeling very productive today!

10 Likes

Nice color on both f your project. I can’t wait to see it finished.

1 Like

What pattern for your red cardigan? I have red yarn wanting to be a cardie , but can’t quite figure out what I really want it to look like.

1 Like

I haven’t figured out the patten yet. I need to pull the yarn out from under the bed and bring it to the computer to search on Ravelry - somehow that hasn’t happened yet. (The yarn is a beautiful wool/silk blend from the early 90s, I think, given to me by a friend who used to own my LYS and is now trying to downsize. I have been the grateful recipient of pattern books and magazines as well.) I think it’s a sport-weight? I want something very simple that I can use for layering and wear to work. Snug fit, crew neck, mostly stockinette with maybe some cables near the button bands. I have a pretty strong picture in my head of what I want.

1 Like

I’ve got a bad case of Startitis. One of my traditions every year is to organize my stash. It never fails that I find yummy yarns that will go nicely with new patterns that I’ve found on Ravelry. So cast on and start I did. One sweater for me and one baby sweater.

5 Likes

Yea - I fell off the WIP wagon over the weekend and started a hat (probably will finish it as a Pussy Hat). Didn’t take the edge off my startitis though. I’m itching to add to my WIP shawl pile with another 1 or 2 or maybe a Crete cardigan or some Squad Mitts or . . .

2 Likes

I’m planning the big Stash Toss for this weekend and I’m getting the feeling It’s going to be a lot like this!! :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah it’s a little scary. I need a shot of finishitis.

4 Likes

I made a bonehead move on my wish list for Webs this year so I was gifted some beautiful yarn for Christmas that I had no need for. Luckily, my boyfriend’s buddy Artie just found out that he’s going to be a grandfather. I couldn’t think of a better person to get a hand knit gift and the mistake yarn is perfect for it so this has been cast on. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-hooded-wrap-and-roll-blanket
I’m making it without the strap because I believe that new mothers don’t need something that doesn’t do something to make their life easier. When I first met Brian (the BF) he always talked about Artie and had the craziest stories but for a variety of reasons (no falling out or anything–just life being life) they had lost touch with each other. The day I found Artie was a turning point in our relationship. We’ve been in almost constant connection ever since and I simply adore him. He is quite the wildman and it turns out that all the crazy stories were true! He is also kind and fun and a true blessing as a friend.

So I don’t feel guilty about this one.

I do feel guilty about the pair of squad mitts that I am halfway through and the socks that I started for my mom, and the socks for my friend Kathleen, and my mom’s hat, and her scarf, and the poncho from the new Norah Gaughan book that I cast on for my niece (p.s. the book is fab!) and, I think you get the picture.

In the spirit of transparency I have one sock left to knit from Christmas that I haven’t done a damn thing on.

5 Likes

I have startitis and frogitis! I think I now know how Penelope felt!

3 Likes

I have a nasty case, but unfortunately, my needles are in one country, I’m in another, and my stash is in storage! I’ve been picking away at a sock, and drooling over patterns…

2 Likes

That’s the worst kind of startitis–when you’ve got it and there’s nothing you can do about it.

I just finished a baby blanket and pillow (miles of stockinette, ugh) that had turned into a major slog. I have been so looking forward to projects that are actually enjoyable. So what did I wind yarn for yesterday? Purl Soho’s Hudson Bay Inspired Blanket. SMH. Also, Hadley Pullover and Apres-Anything Socks. I’m also obsessing over Squad Mitts but am afraid the selection of yarns from stash would be like falling down a rabbit hole.

I am suffering from finishitis and frogitis also. Frogging those partially finished knits was liberating. I’m down to one pair of partially finished socks and a Kusha Kusha Scarf that I’m considering frogging.

6 Likes

Urgh. Yeah, I’ve got a case of startitis. I’m trying to keep it under control (six projects isn’t too many, right? that’s one for each day when I have time to knit), but. There’s two sweaters, an afghan, two wraps and a hat. I did frog one big project, and I am avoiding the Hadley KAL (I don’t wear big wooly sweaters). But I just got Kate Oates Grown, and there’s a sweater in there that I’ve been wanting to make for a decade but didn’t want to futz about modifying a pattern (more than I usually do).

2 Likes