Temperature Project Sharing and Caring

Cara Davis’s article on temperature projects has us all revved up to knit or crochet temperature projects for 2022, 2023, and any other year in history.

Here’s Cara’s post: A Temperature Project - Modern Daily Knitting

All temperature projects are welcome here: knitted, crocheted, embroidered, or other. Quilts! It’s such a fun way to play with color.

Here’s the product listing for Felted Tweed: Felted Tweed - Modern Daily Knitting

UPDATE: It’s been fun figuring out a palette for my temperature blanket using Kaffe Fassett’s Garter Stripe Shawl as a template and Felted Tweed as the yarn. I came up with 21 temperature ranges of 4 degrees.

Here are my shade card for New York City in Fahrenheit:

19 degrees or lower: Clay
20-23: Alabaster
24-27: Scree
28-31: Seafarer
32-35: Seasalter
36-39: Maritime
40-43: Delft
44-47: Ciel
48-51: Fjord
52-55: Vaseline Green
56-59: Electric Green
60-63: Lime
64-67: Cumin
68-71: Mineral
72-75: Sulfur
76-79: Pink Bliss
80-83: Barbara
84-87: Zinnia
88-91: Ginger
92-95: Scarlet
95 or higher: Rage

Check out our Temperature Blanket Starter Packs, to save 10 percent off the single-ball price of Felted Tweed and get a free download of MDK Field Guide No. 13: Master Class, which has the pattern for the Garter Stripe Shawl.

19 Likes

Once I finish my holiday knitting! She may just inspire me to relearn crochet.

3 Likes

My only temperature project was in 2019 and had attempted a second one in 2020 which ended before I even finished January.
There’s yarns to be used over here.
:yarn:

8 Likes

I call that a head start! For me the yarn planning is the fiddly part, and you’re all set.

5 Likes

I went ahead and made a spreadsheet. And then I added a page. And another page. Then I started doing math. Then I did more math. Then I corrected some math. Then I started playing with colors and the whole thing started to take on a life of its own. By evening my head was spinning with so many ideas that it was time to close the computer and go to bed.

This morning clearer heads prevailed. It turned out my math mistake was not a mistake at all but the correction was a HUGE mistake (thank you Kay), fixed the pages, cleaned them up and I’m ready to rock and roll.

So cats and kittens, I’m ready to share it if you want it. Drop me an email at kjt1211@optonline.net or dm me your email address and I’ll sent it along.

Here’s what’s in it:

There are three pages of dates. One for just a straight once day pattern. One for a pattern with dividers for each month. One with a pattern for a divider each season. Each has columns for High, Low, and Average Temperatures.

There’s some info at the top of each page. If you are doing the Kaffe Fasset Garter Strip Shawl there is a number for your total number of ridges for each of the date configurations and a cast on number to maintain the original proportions. They are all pretty close so feel free to cast on the original 252 stitches and run with it. I may have been getting a little obsessive last night. It happens sometimes.

The second set of numbers are for how many Granny Squares you would need to add to make a perfectly square blanket. The square route of 365 is 19.104blahblahblah. If you want make a square for every day, you’ll need to go to a 20 square by 20 square blanket. The number of extra squares that you need to make is there as well. Do what you will with them. You can commemorate a special day with an extra square or you can leave them all neutral to just fill in the gaps. It’s up to you. If that doesn’t tickle your fancy, you can just do a 19 x 19 blanket and give yourself a four days off.

The next few pages are sample temperature charts. These will determine how many colors you will use. It’s important to remember that these are just samples. There’s one for 10 colors, one for 19 colors, one for 21 colors (that would be Kay’s plan), and one for 25 colors which gives you the option to use different colors for spring and fall. On the one hand, 60 in April is very different from 60 in October. On the other hand I’m trying to show an annual heat map here and that could be confusing. I’m still deciding.

There are some notes to all these charts that I think would be helpful.

1. These are just samples. I know I’m repeating myself but I don’t want you think you’re locked into these.
  2. If you’re meandering along the Garter Stripe Shawl pathway, each ridge (two rows) is a day. The original pattern has you doing half the ridges and then repeating them in reverse. The charts are for going straight through without and flipping and reversing (with a nod to Missy Elliott). I kind of feel like Kaffe Fassett would be tickled by this.
  3. These charts were all done as if you all lived in my apartment building. (That would be awesome!! We would have so much fun!) But, in real life, we all live in very different places. If you’re in, say, Miami, and you are hitting days between 20 and 25 degrees Fahrenheit you’ve got bigger fish to fry than working on your blanket. Your chart will be different than mine. So I put the location at the top of each temp chart.
  4. If you make a chart for where you live and want to add it, email it to me and I’ll put it in the workbook. Has anyone ever actually filled up an excel workbook? I think we should try.
  5. If you need help with making your chart, reach out to me via email at kjt1211@optonline.net and I will happily help you figure out your temperatures.
  6. To paraphrase the immortal words of Meatloaf, “I would do anything for love, but I won’t fill in your daily temperatures for you.” Would that I could but I have a full time job, a house to keep clean (you have no idea how funny that is!), and a Covid damaged social life that I need to at least try to safely maintain. Not to mention a house full of plants that I need to at least try to keep alive. Keeping track of your temperatures is on you. Unless you live in my zip code. Then I’ll share.
  7. There’s been lots of whispering about what to do/add/not do/not add etc. to this pattern. The answer to all of them is do what you want to do.
    a. You can marl the high and low each day on your ridges. I don’t know what kind of witchcraft this would be but I’m glad we can invite Cecilia to the party.
    b. You can add a row of eyelets for your dividers if you want to do dividers.
    c. You could do your daily ridge in eyelets when there’s more than a set amount of precipitation on the day you’re working on. Half an inch of rain, an inch of snow, any amount of sleet or hail. You decide.
    d. Any other kind of madness you can dream up. Just share it if it works. Or if it doesn’t work.
  8. I made a range of temperature charts because not all of us have the same budget or stash. And we certainly don’t all have access to a warehouse full of yarn. Well we kind of do because Kay and Ann have very generously offered 10% off Rowan Felted Tweed to help us all out. Just use the code TEMPERATURE at checkout between now and January 15th to take them up on their offer. Sometimes it’s easier for me to buy my yarn piecemeal instead of all at once. I’m not going to need to need Rage until summer (hopefully) so I can buy it in a few months when it won’t be as big a hit to my budget. Use whatever yarn and gauge works for you. Remember that if you are going to order from MDK, tomorrow is the last day for shipping between now and January 3rd. Rest easy Team Atlas and enjoy your eggnog. Which leads to:
  9. Just like every other time we knit together, there is no beginning and no end. Well there’s a beginning and an end to the year but start when you want to start, finish when you want to finish, and work at your own pace. Which leads to my list tip:
  10. The only rule is that there are no rules! Your house, your knitting, your rules.

I hope you’ll join in the fun. Now that I’ve gotten my “left brain” part of my process out of the way, my “right brain” has a million ideas. I’ll post them if they turn out to be worth sharing.

Maybe we can get Billy Idol to host a “Hot in the City” singalong zoom at our halfway point.

ETA: I forgot to mention that there are Celsius temperature charts as well. The dates are American style but I can make changes and additions as needed. Just let me know. And let me know if you find any typos or mistakes. I’m kind of winging it here.

16 Likes

After all the marling we’ve been doing, I’m wondering how a marled Temperature Blanket would fair - using two strands held together, one color for the high and one for the low of each day. Maybe marled mitered squares, joined as I go? I’m going to have to keep thinking about this…

11 Likes

Well, I have no current plans to do one of these, but if and when I do I will ask for the current spreadsheet to help me along!

2 Likes

I think that would be awesome. I think you’ll get a really cool effect. Let us know what you decide.

2 Likes

Any time, my friend! Just say it and it’s yours.

2 Likes

I’m ready ya’ll!

12 Likes

So obsessed with this idea that I learned how to crochet the hexes last night! Thanks to Cara’s great tutorial videos on IG @january_one

It’s not perfect, but pretty good for my first attempt.

12 Likes

This gives me hope that I will figure it out!

4 Likes

I think it is lovely. Great job.

1 Like

Check out Attic 24. She has a lot of good tutorials. You can do it!! I believe in you!!

2 Likes

Has anyone worked out how to do a color explosion throw as a temperature gradient throw?

3 Likes

Ooh! Challenge accepted! I’m off to my sister’s house to celebrate Christmas with my family but you’ve got my wheels turning. I’ll do some work on it when I get home.

5 Likes

Your post is so thoughtful, helpful and kind, I feel very tempted to join the madness! Thank you so much - it was a charming read!

3 Likes

If every square was a day, would need to add 5 blocks. Would also need to wait 4 days to start the next row of blocks. At least that’s what I’m thinking.

1 Like

I am toying with a temperature blanket. Mine will be for the year 1982, the year my beloved and I were married. My husband is very interested in it. He PRINTED OFF A 1982 calendar and filled in the high temperature for each day. Now together we are going to decide on a palette. I think I am going to make it corner to corner. I absolutely loved Cara’s, but mine will need to be simpler I think. It will be fun and I love that my husband is excited about it too. :blush:

11 Likes

Ooof! I did find a really fast and easy adaptation for the Color Explosion Throw and did the math yesterday but I was too pooped when I get home last night and am getting an understandably slow start this morning.

There are two modifications for this plan. The first is to take a weekly temperature as opposed to a daily temperature; the second is to make the blanket a little bit smaller.

If you work from a weekly temp, you can marl together the high and low average for the week for each row of squares. To keep the proportion correct, each row of squares will be three squares (instead of four) and each strip will be 13 marls (instead of 18). These modifications reduce the dimensions of the blanket to 41" x 40.5" (instead of 54" x 56.6") which are really close in proportion.

The math works out almost perfectly and it has the added benefit of each of the four strips being just the right size for a season (13 weeks).

I have a feeling that there are some more options on this blanket so I’ll do more later today. I have a bunch of emails to read and the rest of the comments to check out but had to get this out of my head before I got my day started. My house also looks like a special 2-hour episode of Hoarders so I need to do some work here too. I’m going to add this layout to the spreadsheet along with some other ideas and will be back later with more.

5 Likes