Temperature Project Sharing and Caring

Wow! That’s gorgeous.

2 Likes

Ha. I’d be happy if I finished a 250 piece set.

3 Likes

@DNAKnits Wow, You certainly do have a temperature range!! And what happened in July? Your range of low to high for the year goes from -3F to 94F. To figure out how many subsets of that you will need, you need to figure out how many colors you want to use and we can work from there.

Which leads me to another possible post. After looking at @jangrimmer’s zip code and @DNAKnits zip code, I know the steps to figure this out. I did my chart fast and dirty because I know my area well but for some folks that might not be easy. So I have two or three options.

1. I can write another long, rambling post. It would include pictures but they would be pictures of numbers.
  2. You can DM me and I will help you as long as I have enough time.
  3. If enough people want help, we can jump on a zoom, I’ll screen share to show you where to look and how to figure it out.
  4. Hey look, there’s actually four options, not three. You can wing it.

In other news, Excel is crapping out on my today and Optimum has totally changed up how my email works and that keeps freezing up too so I’m going to walk away from my computer for a while. Meeting a friend for a quick glass of wine in an hour or so and am hoping that everything is running smoothly and makes sense when I get back. I have a little pre-game project to show you but if you think I’m going to risk working with pictures right now than you’re nuttier than I am. If you’re waiting for an email, I swear it’s coming!

Cheers!

4 Likes

Hi,
I am thinking 24 colors. That would be about 4 degrees per color for a 97 + degree range. Editorially at about 85 I melt because the heat comes with humidity here. We don’t have central air at home.
Donna

3 Likes

That sound great. I used a higher number on my bottom number to make sure I had a color category that included the 2021 bottom number. So in your case, I would would have used something like <2 degrees to make sure I was representing the expected crazy cold days. Ditto for the top number. But you know your home the best so do whatever works for you. It’s going to be gorgeous. And seriously, I melt at 85 too. We had crazy heat waves this past summer and I actually cried a few times because I was so hot.

2 Likes

I have been swatching for days. I am so glad, because I was too ambitious and have deleted data points. I would appreciate y’all’s input, though. I have been adding an ichord around my little square – that takes quite a bit of time. Does anyone have a suggestion for an easier border??

Here is where I am at: 12sts x 12 garter bumbs + ichord.

1. Moon phase ( I love a full moon)
  2. Precipitation (0, <1 inches, <2, <3, <4, <5, >5)
  3. Dew Point
  4. Weather (Sunny, Partly Cloudy, Cloudy, Foggy, Rain, Snow, Super Windy – this is based on my Mom’s perception of the day – this blanket is for her and she lives in NW Illinois where there is a greater temp variance – and she is 86 and this gives us a reason to check in every day)
  5. Hi Temp
  6. Low Temp

Here’s a photo – it took me a while to get where I wanted to be.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Jan

5 Likes

Take it from one who has done this before - Simplicity is often the best option. Remember, you’re working on this for an entire year. After I knitted the first one on size 7 super long circulars and over 100 sts with each day requiring one garter ridge sometime around July I already ‘had enough’. I put it down and there it sat for weeks. Then, the stress inside me built up. I had to catch up.
Knitting is supposed to be fun. That’s what I had to keep telling myself.
So, this time, small and simple is how I’m going. My only measurement will be the average temp for each day. That means, most likely, I’ll start my project sometime later this week when I have more than one day in the History of 2022. LOL
I always manage to get myself into way too many MKALs and KALs and this is the year where I will not give in over and over and over.

7 Likes

Hi Michigan Yarn Stalker – I just got in from a 2.5 mile walk – it is hot and super humid here – all the while knowing you speak from experience and that you are right. Here’s what I’m gonna do. CHILLAX and do maybe 25 or 30 sts wide per day and include what I want. Each month I will add ichord and at the end I will stitch it together adding as I need to even things out and it will be what it will be. THANK YOU!!

5 Likes

So… I am thinking about a 14+ color stash of worsted weight that I have (in storage), and noodling on about a sweater.
As in divide the yardage needed by 365 for daily lengths. Am I crazy ? :laughing:

6 Likes

Sounds interesting!

1 Like

You’re welcome!
I hate to see a good project get tossed to the yarn bin when it gets to become more like work than fun.
Believe me, I’ve had plenty of those in my years. LOL There’s one sitting not far from me now and it’s been following me around the house since 2013. Every year I move it closer to my workspace, take it up to our cabin, etc. and then another January rolls around.

Ah yes. Knitters and the fun we have.

8 Likes

Hmm. The thought of all that I cord edging makes me woozy. It’s a lot of finish work and they’re not even connected. What if you did a slip stitch edge on each square and then connected them with a three needle bind off like the Color Explosion. That might work. You could do your 12 bumps a day and then choose a color to divide them and knit your squares in long strips. Take a look at the chart of the 19 x 19 square blanket layout. We could talk about how to handle the extra squares on the corners and assembly if you want to.

Happy New Year everyone! Hope you are thoroughly enjoying the first day of 2022! I’ve spent the day lounging on the couch, eating candy, knitting, and obsessing over what today’s high temperature will end up being. I think I have my final color order done but of course, today is at risk of not being here yet. I started a different one today so I’ve had something to play with so if I can’t get started tomorrow, I’ll catch up when it arrives.

You may be crazy but that idea isn’t! :rofl: Like most great ideas, it could be the best thing ever or a total disaster but I think it’s worth the risk.

My worry is that the end weaving in will get to me so I plan to do it on Saturday mornings. I keep a chunk of time every Saturday morning that is mine and mine alone. It makes it more doable for me.

It reminds me of my oddball mitered square cardigan that’s been in progress for a couple years and was renamed ‘oddball mitered square blanket #2’.

Sometimes, we have a great idea then another idea comes along and we go that way instead. I’m looking forward to see how it turns out. I know I’m downsizing from a blanket to a scarf or wrap this time.

Happy New Year!

I started out today searching my Ravelry Library for something that I thought I wanted to knit then I changed my mind and it’s going to be something else for another yearly challenge that I’m in. That happens.

Yesterday I found my color chart from my last temperature blanket and the box of the yarns that I bought and stuck over in a corner. We’re in a log house that has those corners where only tiny people or squishy things can go. I insulate them with yarn in boxes, yarn in small bins, yarn in large bins, baskets, you get the idea, right? LOL

From what the weather guy says, I’m thinking today is going to end up being a Blue day.

3 Likes

Happy New Year!! Can I just say that this is the MOST entertaining thread I’ve ever read in the lounge? It’s like reading a novel - plot twists! New yarn characters! Alternate viewpoints! It may even get me to do a temperature blanket at some point. And I think one of the field guides this year should definitely be nothing but temperature blanket variations.

11 Likes

Agree. This has been a great thread! Still haven’t decided what I’m going to do though. So many decisions.

5 Likes

I know this is the wrong thread but thought I would share my rug. And my son. He’s about 5’8" to give you an idea of the length.

20 Likes