Temperature Project Sharing and Caring

I love this idea. I’m in! I have sooo much felted tweed and I’ve knitted three of this pattern in different colors of course​:upside_down_face: and as very special gifts. The palette of color is so beautiful. I’m so excited. I have two containers full of every color. I know, I’ve gone a bit crazy but I love this yarn. :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Oh what a great idea. Think I might go for the coin rows in some version. I so needed this fun project right now. It was ~23 today🥶

4 Likes

I have a plan! My colors are similar to Kay’s and every 10 days or so I will add a “coins” section, which should be about 36 rows. That’s the plan anyway …. Color Explosion still needs 2 more sections.

3 Likes

@Janieknits I am so impressed with the coins idea. It’s going to be beautiful.

There’s a weekly way to do the color explosion that works out perfectly. You do 4 strips of thirteen weeks. The original pattern calls for a full pattern repeat that is four squares wide by 18 marls long and you make four strips. If you do three squares wide by 13 marls long and each repeat of squares is marled with the high of the week and the low of the week (or whatever you want to do) you get a slightly smaller but totally beautiful blanket.

Here’s my little pencil sketch from when I was obsessing about this last week.

3 Likes

I made a coins blanket as a pandemic project and I love the way it came out.

34 Likes

I have been steadfastly avoiding planning a temperature blanket. I have enough knitting planned! I don’t need another project!

But then I saw this idea. I am on my first strip of the Color Explosion in the original palette, and it is glorious. I definitely need to work on another one, right? Marling is so fun and the high temp/low temp marls could be really great.

I’m thinking about doing this and adding on a repeat for each month, so each strip would end up being 16 repeats…close to the original dimensions of the pattern.

4 Likes

That is beautiful and such a great graphic design. I’m really thinking it could be a neat Temperature project!

3 Likes

Wow that is an amazing blanket. It will live in my fantasies too.

3 Likes

Oh I love that!!

3 Likes

That would absolutely work. If you add the month, then you should also stick with the four square pattern from the original blanket. And do this at your own pace. I have a few little (or not so little) temperature items going but only one of them has a hard finish. The other two leave me with plenty of time to catch up.

1 Like

Still waiting for my yarn to arrive before I can finalize my plan and get going. Meantime I’m brushing up on my heretofore nonexistent crochet skills on some scraps. I love how quick the hexes are! Personally I’m sure Knitting + blanket = UFO. Love hearing all the different ideas everyone has. Can’t wait to see some pics as we go along!

7 Likes

Ok, I’m in! Yes, agreed on keeping the 4-square width. Off to ponder color choices…

3 Likes

I found out this morning that the temperature blanket temperature history site can be tricky to use. My days were all the same temps then I realized that I had to go one day at a time and pay attention. When I asked for 1/5/22 it gave me the 4th. When I asked for the 3rd I got the 2nd. I had to change my entire week’s numbers since the only one that was still the same was 1/1/22. Is that the only weather history site? :thinking:

3 Likes

I’m using this one. Teterboro, NJ Weather History | Weather Underground Put your zip code in and you can do daily, weekly, or monthly.

2 Likes

I just saw a lovely sideways garter temperature blanket posted by oldmaidenaunt on Instagram that illustrates a style that @kjt1211 described somewhere above. Do take a peek!
Just gorgeous.

5 Likes

It’s gorgeous. And did you read that part about a custom stamped leather tag to note the year.

2 Likes

I had to run on over to Instagram to check it out. That’s one gorgeous blanket.

4 Likes

It’s a beautiful morning here! Hope it’s just as pretty wherever you are. I still haven’t gotten through all the comments on Kay’s post the other day but I noticed a lot of people trying to figure out their temp charts so I updated the spreadsheet with three fillable pages to help folks figure out the range for their zip code. There’s a five-temp spread, a four-temp spread, and a three-temp spread. I’ll do more if anyone needs them.

You know the drill! DM me here or email me at kjt1211@optonline.net. If you already got the spreadsheet, I sent out the update a few minutes ago so check your inbox.

P.S. My plan last night was to finish reading all the comments but I got sucked into The Girl from Oslo on Netflix. I loved every minute of it.

5 Likes

I, too, loved the Girl from Oslo, but I also highly recommend the movie Oslo, which provides the background to the story.

After thinking about this temperature blanket, I came up with a plan that allows me to knit a row everyday in the Coins pattern. I cast on 238 stitches (29 repeats plus 5 steek stitches) and every 10 days I will use the new temperatures for a full repeat of the coins pattern. I will probably add in some extra days or other patterns to get some additional length. My colors (all from stash) are fairly close to the original.

6 Likes

I love your colors. They look great! I did a little look through the other field guides when I was looking at other blankets that could be Temperaturized (trademark pending) but I averted my eyes when it came to the coins blanket and its kin. I was already in too deep (in a good way) and there’s a fine line between being an enthusiastic participant and the lady who takes her knitting out for walks in a vintage baby carriage!

It occurred to me that there are two other options for the extra five rows. First, if you follow the Catholic observance of Christmas, you could just add one repeat (37 instead of 36) and end on January 5th 2023. That’s the day before Little Christmas which observes the day the three wise men (three late men?) arrived with their gifts. On 1/6 you could just sit back and pat yourself on the back for being a wise woman. If you don’t observe Christmas like that or at all, ignore that idea. I checked the dates on Hanukkah and Kwanza and neither of them will get you an extra five days. Those are the holidays most celebrated in my community but if anyone has any other ideas, jump in. The second thought was that you could add a 5 ridge garter border using the high and low of the last five days of the year. Or you could just end on 12/26 and call it a year. We closed the office for the last week of 2021 and it was a real treat.

I confess I did go back and take a look at the pattern for the coins blanket and I think your cast on might be a hair off. The way I read it is that if you are going to steak, you repeat the 8 stitches of the pattern and then on the last repeat you add on the 9th stitch which comes to 233. If you want a 5 stitch steak you’ll need to cast 238 stitches. I’ve already had to rip out one project twice (once on a color mistake and once because I was way too involved in TGFO and missed a bunch of increases) and I would hate for that to happen to anyone else.

My colors are partly from stash with some new ones but my package hasn’t made it to my door yet so I am patiently waiting but, I can assure you, when it comes it’s gonna be party time at my house.

Thanks for the tip on Oslo. I will totally check it out.

1 Like