What's Your Game Plan for Listening to This?

Curious how you’ll be taking on this audiobook. I’m aiming to listen to a chapter a day. I found I really need to capital-L Listen to this, given the language.

2 Likes

I listened to this a couple of years ago when it first came out. I aimed for a chapter a day; if I remember correctly that reading overlapped the holidays. Whatever was the time frame, I occasionally fell behind, but I doggedly made it through. Some doggedness may be required.

2 Likes

I think this will be listen only. Perhaps while walking?

4 Likes

I’m aiming for a chapter a day. My commute to work is anywhere between 7 and 10 minutes each way. With lunch travel added in, I can probably handle that.

1 Like

Gosh I’m excited about this. I have definitely been in a knocking-off hats sort of mood of late. I read Moby Dick for the first time about a year ago or so, a task made relatively easier by the number of voyages I’ve taken through the Aubreyad. Also, no one had ever told me how funny it is!

I’m in the habit of listening to podcasts on breaks & lunch, so a chapter a day should fit in nicely. Ahoy, shipmates!

(Once you’re done, twitter folk can subscribe to MobyDickAtSea for your daily dose!)

2 Likes

I just want to listen to Tilda’s chapter over and over again!
My plan is to listen to one or 2 chapters a day. I love the art images with each new chapter -

4 Likes

Moby Dick Tweets? Spectacular!

2 Likes

I’m in. I’m looking to do a chapter a day. Maybe more. My commute is 30-40 minutes to/from work each day.

1 Like

I’m planning to listen while I knit

something that doesn’t take a lot of concentration. I listened to the first chapter tonight while I wound a ball of yarn.

3 Likes

Hi y’all–don’t mean to threadjack this conversation (that I started, jeez), but I am startled at how very funny this book can be.

In particular, Chapter 3: The Spouter Inn:

Ishmael’s anxiety about sharing a bed with An Unknown Harpooner, and the whole of that chapter, had me laughing out loud. Simultaneously funny, acutely perceptive about prejudice, and quietly making the point that hospitality and generosity often come from the person who is considered the least likely to give them.

8 Likes

Go make that your avatar photo! I save yarn winding for truly compelling
binge watches. I’ve got 1600 yards to wind tomorrow–this is going to be
excellent Moby-Dick winding.

1 Like

While knitting. While making dinner. While getting dressed in the morning.

I agree that it takes Attentive Listening.

If you haven’t seen the Rockwell Kent illustrations, seek them out. Perfectly matched to the text in mood and beauty.

2 Likes

Beautiful! I did just discover the Rockwell Kent illustrations while poking
around. I love his work–I framed a series of images from his book North by
East, which I found in a used book sale.

Fun fact: I used to work at Viking Press. He designed their Viking ship
colophon!

1 Like

That is an excellent suggestion! I have two huge hanks of Briar Rose Fiber yarn to wind. The perfect mindless thing to do while listening! Thank you! :slight_smile:

I downloaded the first couple of chapters. The next week I won;t be able to listen because I have my grandkids here.

Just came back from doing chores (feh!) and got through about 1/2 of chapter 3. Not sure why but the little bit about the dumplings was cracking me up.

2 Likes

YOUR SWEATER!

Is it a Whitby? In denim? I’m dying here!

1 Like

They will enjoy a novel from 1851 as much as anybody lol . . . fire it up!

My plan is to listen to a chapter whenever I’m supposed to be doing photo processing for a blog post.

(HHHEEEEEEeeeeeee.)

(Actually not joking.)

4 Likes

This is such good timing, because I just wrapped up Maggie Gyllenhaal’s Anna Karenina, and I was hungry for a good, complicated epic. The plan is to knit a vest and listen after the 3 yo goes to be (usually by 7). Will avoid TV to make time for audiobook time! Love this!!!

2 Likes