Blocking Advice

Good Morning !
I hope everyone is safe and healthy and coping positively, as best one can, during these trying times. I have just completed a project that used a yarn called Glitterati from the Tess Designer Yarns Company. I am wondering if anyone can give me advise on how to block this particular type of yarn. Thanks in advance for any help. Joan

1 Like

When I don’t know what to do, and this is a broad mix of yarns, I generally try steam blocking first.–It sort of depends on what the project is but given so much silk I think that might work with this.

Not knowing the texture of your project it is hard to say. With poly and nylon be careful with steam temp. Maybe try with swatch first. I usually soak in euclan, rinse, squeeze and pin to size on foam blocks. I also find seaming much easier after blocking.

2 Likes

I don’t know the yarn, but from it’s name it sounds like it has some sparkle in it, so I would NOT steam it. That will melt any polyester fiber.

When I’m unsure, I also wash in Euclann, then pin out to dry. Agree that blocking first makes seaming easier.

Thank you Karen! I did steam block the pieces and it worked well! So appreciate your reply. Have a great day!

1 Like

Thanks so much! I tried blocking it first on a swatch I used a wet towel and steamed each piece. Thanks for your reply. Joan

1 Like

…always on the fence whether to block or not…When I wet garment to block and begin to spread it out…appears that it always grows!!!..set to the measurements but when it dries always feels that it has grown… blocking my swatch always changes my gauge…how to do a swatch to gauge? knit smaller and stretch to 4"…feel that can always stretch any swatch to 4"…If I get gauge before blocking… it changes after i block…so what is the starting point??

so confused…any advise would be appreciated

1 Like

Gainer
May 1
…always on the fence whether to block or not…When I wet garment to block and begin to spread it out…appears that it always grows!!!..set to the measurements but when it dries always feels that it has grown… blocking my swatch always changes my gauge…how to do a swatch to gauge? knit smaller and stretch to 4"…feel that can always stretch any swatch to 4"…If I get gauge before blocking… it changes after i block…so what is the starting point??

so confused…any advise would be appreciated

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Dirty secrets of a knit finisher time! I almost never totally soak a piece given to me to finish. I steam block or damp-ish steam block nearly every fiber, BUT—i often do this through a muslin cloth, cheesecloth or thin towel, and also often with a velvety press cloth or the same type of fabric cloth under the piece, on top of the ironing board. Pre-COVID-19, I owned a commercial caliber garment steamer, which negated the use of double fabric layers, but alas, now I need this trick. The steam provides a relaxing effect to “reboot” the fibers to their natural curl and bounce. If you steam your swatch lightly, hand smooth it out and let dry, the measurements should pretty well reflect what the yarn will produce in a garment.

Note, fabric shops sell a velvet pressing cloth, that has a nap like velvet. Useful item for knit steaming. Just remember, the when steaming, the iron (or nozzle head of steamer) never touches the fabric: only the steam does!