About the Advice, Please category

Stuck? Not sure how to proceed? In search of counsel? Post here. And remember: leave a penny, take a penny—try to help a knitter out if you have a suggestion.

1 Like

I’ve posted twice now in the advice please category and am informed that the topic is with the moderator. However, it has not appeared on the site. I did email you through the ‘contact us’ link but that has bounced back too. Any suggestions? !! thanks

Hello,
I saw these mitts in the fall/winter Sundance catalog. Does anyone know a yarn that is similar to this? I like that it is not striped.

Thank you

2 Likes

Can I reclaim a merino superwash from a project that has been blocked?

I have a question about blocking…specifically the Aperture Shawl by Jeanette Sloan found in Field Guide #15, Open. How did you block the side edges…straight out or let them roll and block? Also I went down a size in needle and did not need to knit all the repeats to get the length so I have yarn left over to knit another project. Look forward to blocking information. Thanks.

I’m confused about the edge stitches on the steek section of the kiki mariko blanket

I just started my Daytripper and don’t understand how many rows of ribbing are there at the beginning. Sorry to be so dense.

Look under the heading “Yoke” on page 45. The pattern states 4 rounds after the set up round. It comes out to about an inch of ribbing.

Thank you very much for replying and for the help!

Does anyone else feel frustrated when they purchase expensive yarn and when they go to wind it, it cannot be placed on a wonder because it is a mess on the inside??? It then takes a few hours to slowly hand wind it through tangled. UGH
Just needed to vent . Thank you​:blush::yarn::woman_shrugging:

Sometimes it’s all good, and suddenly it’s like the wheels just fell off! I once spent three days untangling and winding a skein of laceweight alpaca. Super soft, beautiful color, but I’m not altogether sure I should try to knit with it! It might be better to keep it confined; in, let’s say, something like a crystal brandy snifter.

1 Like

Applied i-cord: I am having trouble finishing the watercolor cowl. The bind off is way too tight

• like socks that the cuff won’t go over the foot! Increasing the size of the needles helped a little, and I was working really carefully to keep it loose, but is still not right. Suggestions?
    Thanks

Hi Ann - just wondering on the Daytripper if the extended sizes directions mean to increase as in the directions on the first page and then continue with the increases on the 1x only directions on the second page. Advice would be appreciated as I’m almost to that step. Thanks so much.

Help again, I feel incredibly stupid and have not even chosen the colors for my yoke. Once you have completed the short rows and are ready to start from the chart, should you have the same # of stitches that you cast on?? I’m making the medium and began with 67 stitches. Somehow I now have 71. Before I frog again, I would like to be sure if the original cast on # of stitches = the # of stitches when starting the yoke chart…
Thank you.

I can’t figure out how to ask a question about an issue I can’t figure out (boy am I confused). I am making XL size in Daytripper cardigan. After the colourwork I only have 169 stitches, far fewer than listed. I can’t find relevant errata for the pattern. I have done the math on paper, and come up with 169 stitches, but the pattern says I should have a lot more. What to do? I can’t make any sense of this.

I am knitting destination pullover…at increase at armhole of back… not clear do I do the increase on purl rows too??

Sorry…clarifying. At the “increase every0(8…”
Increase section

I also have questions about the stitch count. I frogged because I thought I may have forgotten the last row of decreases, but now don’t know how many I should have. I’m considering a mistake in the count given for the pattern.

I had a stitch count of 167 stitches after I completed the color work on the large, third size. The pattern says 181 for that size. I may try counting and calculating stitches on my first, completed Daytripper in size small.

Someone called Nell contacted me. I was inadvertently ignoring the solid vertical line on the left side of the chart. The repeat section is to the right of the dark line. You don’t knit the stitch after the dark line until you get to the end of the row and knit it as the final stitch. In my case, by knitting that extra stitch in every repeat across the row, I reduced the number of repeats from 16 to 13, and therefore reduced the number of increases, resulting in fewer stitches overall.