MDK Online Community

I have been following MDK for about the last year and am finding that I learn more than I ever could through weekly visits to my LYS. MDK’s support for FG projects makes it so much easier. I like referring back to comments and projects by others and the tutorial videos are terrific. For example today’s video about joining sleeves to the body of the Debut Pullover is directly applicable to the Stopover Pullover I am working on. When I post a question on The Lounge, Nell or another knitter will quickly send their suggested solution. I still use my LYS for some things, but MDK is working for me from the comfort of my home. Thanks all.

10 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to post about your kind feelings and appreciation of the Lounge! We are really lucky to have such an open and well used platform to share our love of knitting, as well as questions and answers - and other adventures.
I really love helping and so appreciate hearing that I have been helpful to you, thank you so much for the mention.
:blush:

3 Likes

Totally agree. Thank you MDK.
Cheers, Karen ( in Sydney, Australia).

2 Likes

I love it here to. It’s a happy place.

4 Likes

I agree, this is a real community of folks who love the craft. Many different experience levels - I find that knitters really want to help others and it’s very supportive.

3 Likes

Hello, friends. I am working on the temperature blanket, and have to agree that this community of knitters has gotten me through some very challenging times. Over the past 3 years or so, knitting has been my tool for being calm and finding gratitude. I am using Rowan Felted Tweed for my blanket, and it will be a birthday gift for my 7 year old granddaughter’s birthday (reflecting the first year of her life). As it grows longer, I worry about the texture of the fabric. Is it too scratchy for a seven year old? Will she understand the concept of the temperature blanket? I have to admit that my confidence has been crushed following a comment from my mother-in-law, who has sadly, over age, lost her judgement and filters. But the words have made me question my love of knitting and giving my favorite people gifts I have made with my hands. Her words were this, “All you do is sit on your a-- all day, knitting things that nobody wants, nobody likes, and nobody cares about”. Admittedly, I spend hours knitting every day. But I have to ask myself, am I so entrenched in my love of knitting that I am giving people finished objects that aren’t appreciated? Sigh. Have any of you had similar doubts like this? It never occurred to me that such gifts would not be wanted or appreciated, but assumed the opposite. Knitting, especially for others, gives me such joy. Comments?

3 Likes

It is very possible that non-knitters to whom you give your lovingly knitted items do not appreciate what they are receiving. Over the years I have gifted beautiful things to friends and relatives and had “oh, that’s nice” tepid reactions and never seen the pieces worn. Non-knitters, with exceptions of course, compare hand-knits to store-bought, machine knitted items. And nevermind, washing and maintaining hand-knits - too complicated, especially for new moms. Now I knit for primarily myself and for the joy of the giving, especially for grandchildren like yours. She may become a knitter or knitting-lover later on. Do it for yourself. When I do knit for someone else, it’s only for those who participate in choosing the yarn, pattern, etc.
I also tell them it may be years before they see the final version, depending on what else I have going on. Knitting makes us happy and I don’t plan to stop based on others likes and dislikes of what I do. Make yourself happy!

3 Likes

Oh I’m sorry that your mother in law said that! I don’t think I could ever make someone anything after they told me that ( age or not , but sometimes like you said they lose their filter and just blurt out whatever pops into their mind!) The important thing is how does your granddaughter like getting things made by you? As long as you are happy in your knitting that is the main thing .I have made lots of things for my kids and grandkids. Something’s I see them wear and other things never. So for a few years I only have made things for myself. Then they started asking when was I going to make them something!lol! I have had them wash things that shrunk to doll size even! But still , I make them things. I have taught my granddaughters how to knit, but only one still does and she crochets too.

3 Likes

I have so many thoughts on this, but will focus on the positive!

I don’t know any 7 year old who would not appreciate a blanket knit by their grandmother. On the felted tweed, that is tougher – how sensitive is she (but still might look lovely in her room). I made my niece a blanket which she received about that age and she brought it with her to college and is now learning to knit. It may be a while before she understands exactly what she got, but I think that is fine.

I have stopped knitting for those that I am not pretty sure will appreciate it, but if you enjoy the making and the gifting, that is really a personal choice. You can also donate lots of things to different charities.

I am generally a “I knit for myself” person and I don’t feel badly about that at all!

3 Likes

Well that’s just rotten. Next time maybe try a simple “well that’s why I don’t knit for you” and keep on doing what you’re doing. (That is so much nicer than the first sentence I wrote!) There’s all kinds of people in the world. My sister always says, there are people who like The Carpenters and people who like The BeeGees. It doesn’t mean they hate the other band, but they’ll always prefer the one they love. Same with hand knits. I have found that if you can get them while their young, they’ll be yours for life. Other folks need to be eased into it. Start with something small - a cute hat, some mittens maybe - and then if they like it, work your up with them. And if they’re not into it, then gift them something from the store. I am always challenged by wanting to make someone something I love even though I know it’s not their style. That never works out for me and I am finally learning.

As to your mother-in-law, picture yourself as a good Aran sweater when she’s around. Beautiful, gracefully intricate, and bullet proof! And keep on doing whatever makes you happy.

Karen

P.S. Team BeeGees here.

P.P.S. Unless your granddaughter has a wool allergy, she’ll probably be just fine with Felted Tweed.

8 Likes